In the Master of Fine Arts in Film and Television Directing at DePaul University, students will be educated in every discipline involved in the filmmaking process, as well as the business facets of the film industry, enabling them to be best prepared for a career in the industry following graduation. Graduates of the program will emerge with a rich portfolio, including numerous original short films and a complete significant thesis film.
DePaul was recently named a top film school by both The Hollywood Reporter and Variety for giving students real-world opportunities to work on Chicago’s film and television sets. Students have access to unparalleled resources including a dedicated 32,000 square foot production space at Cinespace Chicago Film Studios, the second largest production studio in North America and home to over thirty major Hollywood productions including Empire, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire and more. Students also have access to state-of-the-art camera gear, including Alexa, Amira and Red Cameras, as well as a fully stocked Grip Truck and other production vehicles.
- Production Workshop
- Foundations of Screenwriting
- Fundamentals of Short Film
- Directing Actors
- Writing the Short Motion Picture
- Documentary Production
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 324 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete an online application.
- Submit official transcripts.
- U.S. college and university transcripts should be mailed to the address below.
- DePaul alumni/undergraduate students applying for graduate admission must also submit a DePaul transcript.
- Submit a statement of creative purpose that includes your artistic goals and your reasons for applying to the MFA.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
- Submit a resume indicating your professional experience.
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 882 USD per credit during 12 months.
National26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 882 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.