This one-year MA course in Languages and Cultures (90 credits) at University College Cork will appeal to a wide range of people, including present and future language teachers, and those interested in language studies, linguistics and oral and written communication. The course begins in late September, with teaching ending in March. The thesis is submitted in early October. The course involves attendance at lectures and seminars, the writing of course papers and completion of other assessed tasks including presentations.
The core set of modules introduces students to key concepts needed for engagement in a global market-place: mobility and globalization; intercultural communication; cultural transfer and exchange. They also involve research training and development as well as a dissertation in the student’s area of choice.
Students graduating from the programme will have advanced knowledge and expertise in one or more language areas offered and will be able to choose from modules designed to enhance professional skills and employability and deepen their knowledge of the target cultures in which they specialise.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Negotiating Knowledges in the Networked Society
- Research Methods
- Research Journal and Presentation
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 44 other Masters in Languages in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants should normally have at least an honours primary degree or equivalent at a second class honours grade one in French, German, Italian or Hispanic Studies/Spanish.
- Candidates with language or linguistics degrees at second class honours grade one completed through the medium of French, German, Italian or Spanish may also be considered following a review of their individual qualifications by the course committee.
- Candidates who hold a 2H2 level may also be considered, based on the information provided in a supplementary statement and/or interview acceptable to the programme selection committee.
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6000 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.