The Geotechnical Engineering programme from University of Birmingham is designed to support high-level training and enhance both your technical and managerial skills. With an excellent reputation across the industry, the course focuses on essential aspects of the subject, including: physical, chemical and mechanical properties of soils and rocks; ground investigation; field and laboratory testing; engineering geology and site investigation; analysis, design and construction of foundations, retaining walls, tunnels, embankments and slopes including methods of ground reinforcement and improvement.
You will develop a sound knowledge of soil and rock mechanics, current civil engineering design, and construction management and practice. The research project allows for detailed study into a particular area of geotechnical engineering and can focus upon laboratory testing, numerical modelling or management of geotechnical processes/applications.
This will support your career as a geotechnical engineer, enabling you to plan and direct ground investigations and laboratory testing, giving you the basis for interpreting results and proposing the optimum methods of design and construction.
Why study Geotechnical Engineering Masters at Birmingham?
- Why study this course at Birmingham?...in short we offer two masters courses in Geotechnical Engineering that provide flexibility, broad subject coverage, high quality delivery and excellent job prospects on graduation. One course allows a full development of all the important technical aspects associated with Geotechnical Engineering while the other course builds on a strong technical core and yet allows new developments in management practice to be covered. Our courses are ideally suited to recent graduates or those seeking to boost their career prospects.
- Study in our new state-of-the-art School of Engineering building which includes a 179-capacity Design Centre and 160 drop-in study spaces throughout the building providing flexible learning.
- Birmingham has been providing a highly respected masters course in geotechnical engineering for more than 50 years now and has built up an excellent reputation for providing the graduates industry needs.
- Our courses are continually updated to meet the ever changing environment faced by geotechnical engineering, underpinned by excellence in research with strong links from industry. Graduates often secure employment long before they graduate or use it as a stepping stone in their career development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Project
- Engineering Earthworks
- Foundation Engineering
- Ground Investigation
- Slopes and Retaining Structures
- Soil Mechanics
- Underground Construction
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Geology General Engineering & Technology View 69 other Masters in Geology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A 2:1 Honours degree in a relevant subject (eg, Engineering, Science, Geology or Mathematics). Practical experience will also be taken into account. Evidence of adequate knowledge of English is required. Learn more about entry requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25740 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10980 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10980 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- Postgraduate Diploma full-time: £7320
- Postgraduate Diploma full-time: £17760
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.