The Strategic Urban Planning and Policy programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam addresses what strategic urban planning means in the context of rapid urbanisation, informal settlement, social deprivation, growing inequalities, and economic decline. Through the lens or urban justice, students will analyse how cities function and what the role of strategic planning and policy is in the urban development process.
Next to learning how to do urban planning, you will also reflect on the implications different planning policies have on the socio-spatial dynamics of cities with regards to the spatial distribution of wealth, services and opportunities, representations of identities, social positions and practices in space as well as in decision-making in and about the city.
After you graduate you will be an expert with extended knowledge in the sphere of urban management and development. The career prospects of urban management development graduates are excellent. Cities are expanding increasingly fast, this means that there is a big demand in urban professionals who are able to come up with solutions and innovations that will make a big difference in a city. Once you’ve completed the programme you will be able to work in various sectors ranging from city/town planner to urban economy and finance specialist.
Here are a few examples of positions taken up by our graduates:
- Project manager circular economy at Philips
- Urban governance and policy specialist at UN-Habitat
- Architectural consultant at Asian Development Bank
- Spatial planning advisor at GIZ
- Senior Inspector at the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development
- Director at Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transport and Climate Change
- Full Professor at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Urban Theory
- Urban Governance, Policy, Planning and Public Private Partnership
- Local Government Finance and Investments
- Action Planning Workshop
- Introduction to Development of Socio-Spatial Skills
- Planning Theory
- Spatial Justice Theory
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
Early Bird: 15 April
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Environmental Sciences Urban Planning View 37 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Bachelor’s degree certificate and the complete grade transcripts
- The copies should be in English language. A translated copy should be certified.
- The transcripts must contain all the pages for all the study years and the grading system should be included.
- We require our candidates to have obtained at least second class lower, B or an equivalent.
Master’s degree certificate and transcripts (if applicable)
Motivational essay: The urban challenge of your city
Proof of English language proficiency
Optional: Reference letters, Scholarship offer letter, Additional documents that you would like to submit in support of your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13900 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA13900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13900 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.