Smart and resilient cities are essential in tackling the growing threat of climate change impacts and fostering sustainability. This learning track focuses on different analytical and practical approaches to foster resilience and environmental sustainability in urban areas worldwide among others through smart city innovations.
Students will learn how cities can achieve sustainability from a social, economic and environmental perspective, what are the most innovative initiatives being undertaken by sustainable, smart, and resilient cities, , how to implement effective and efficient urban adaptation and mitigation initiatives, and how cities can achieve a higher level of resilience.
At the end of the Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam , the students should be able to:
- Use geographical information systems and large data sets analysis using software such as ArcGIS, QGIS and R.
- Understand what nature-based solutions, ICT-based innovations, climate change adaptation and mitigation are and how they impact cities and its citizens.
- Use the Climate Action Prioritisation Tool, the Tygron Geodesign Platform, and InVEST (Integrated Valuation of Ecosystem Services and Tradeoffs) software to model environment and climate decisions and simulate scenarios.
After you graduate you will be an expert with extended knowledge in the sphere of urban management and development. The career prospects of urban management development graduates are excellent. Cities are expanding increasingly fast, this means that there is a big demand in urban professionals who are able to come up with solutions and innovations that will make a big difference in a city. Once you’ve completed the programme you will be able to work in various sectors ranging from city/town planner to urban economy and finance specialist.
IHS is a highly reputable institute with a strong reputation with donor agencies and training centers worldwide. Our lecturers have outstanding international experience and continue to work all over the world, therefore, creating a possibility to discuss and initiate links to programmes and projects in countries and cities of the participants.
Here are a few examples of positions taken up by our graduates:
- Project manager circular economy at Philips
- Urban governance and policy specialist at UN-Habitat
- Architectural consultant at Asian Development Bank
- Spatial planning advisor at GIZ
- Senior Inspector at the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development
- Director at Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transport and Climate Change
- Full Professor at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Urban Theory
- Urban Governance, Policy, Planning and Public Private Partnership
- Local Government Finance and Investments
- Action Planning Workshop
- Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change
- Urban Environment and Sectoral Approaces
Dr. Alberto Gianoli
Elena Marie Enseñado
Dr. Alexander Los
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Early Bird: 15 April
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Environmental Sciences Urban Planning View 107 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Bachelor’s degree certificate and the complete grade transcripts
- The copies should be in English language. A translated copy should be certified.
At least a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in a field related to urban development. The following studies are considered relevant to urban development.
- Civil Engineering
- Development Studies
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Science
Motivational essay: The urban challenge of your city
Proof of English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14200 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA14200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14200 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
This programme qualifies for the following scholarships:
- Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP)
- Holland Scholarship
- Orange Tulip Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.