Developed by IHS, this Green City concept views cities as broadly composed of three elements: the built, natural and anthropogenic environments. This trajectory focuses on the built environment with an emphasis on drinking water and sanitation, energy and transport sectors.
In addition, students are also provided with the financial instruments needed to build efficient and cost-effective infrastructure networks for good service delivery.
Besides getting a good grip of theory, students also apply it in practical exercises such as the Cheongyecheon Restoration Project, the development of a business plan, and planning a green and sustainable city in a simulated environment.
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Describe the role of infrastructure in helping cities to become greener.
- Identify and analyse the relation of urban infrastructure with land use, economic development, investment, poverty reduction and local environmental health conditions.
- Understand and analyse the role of infrastructure asset management in delivering service according to a pre-determined level.
- Apply performance assessment methods to identify managerial problems affecting the good delivery of services and propose recommendations.
- Apply innovative models and mechanisms for financing urban infrastructure to deliver good services and to improve the green performance of cities
After you graduate from the Infrastructure and Green Cities programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam, you will be an expert with an extended knowledge in the sphere of urban management and development. The career prospects of urban management development graduates are excellent. Cities are expanding increasingly fast, this means that there is a big demand in urban professionals who are able to come up with solutions and innovations that will make a big difference in a city. Once you’ve completed the programme you will be able to work in various sectors ranging from city/town planner to urban economy and finance specialist.
IHS is a highly reputable institute with a strong reputation with donor agencies and training centres worldwide . Our lecturers have outstanding international experience and continue to work all over the world therefore creating a possibility to discuss and initiate links to programmes and projects in countries and cities of the participants.
Here are a few examples of positions taken up by our graduates:
- Project manager circular economy at Philips
- Urban governance and policy specialist at UN Habitat
- Architectural consultant at Asian Development Bank
- Spatial planning advisor at GIZ
More informationVisit official programme website
- Urban Theory
- Urban Governance, Policy, Planning and Public Private Partnership
- Local Government Finance and Investments
- Action Planning Workshop
- Infrastructure Asset Management
- Sustainable Infrastructure for Green City Workshop
- Financing Infrastructure
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Early Bird: 15 April
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Ecology View 98 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in Netherlands
Bachelor’s degree certificate and the complete grade transcripts
- The copies should be in English language. A translated copy should be certified.
- We require our candidates to have obtained at least second class lower, B or an equivalent.
At least a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in a field related to urban development. The following studies are considered relevant to urban development.
- Civil Engineering
- Development Studies
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Science
Motivational essay: The urban challenge of your city
Proof of English language proficiency
International13900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13900 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA13900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13900 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.