Students in the English Education MA program offered at Arizona State University develop a deeper understanding of language arts by learning how to access, analyze, and apply theoretical frames and best practices for teaching students in grades 7-12. The program encourages students to employ academic research and inquiry to address questions they have about their own students’ learning. Designed for practicing teachers who want to continue to teach full-time while furthering their education, this dynamic course of study culminates with an applied project that directly impacts instruction in language arts classrooms.
The MA in English education is the only one of its kind in the state of Arizona. The program offers an intellectual cohort of English language arts teachers who share their teaching practices and teacher inquiry work and apply their learning and leadership in their classrooms, schools, and districts. The program’s alumni are equally impressive and have become teacher-leaders throughout Arizona, have presented their work at local and national conferences, and have become active in the National Writing Project and the National Council of Teachers of English.
Careers for English education graduates include professions related to the field of secondary language arts and literacy education in secondary schools.
Career examples include:
- curriculum development
- dual enrollment teachers
- faculty positions at colleges and universities
- instructional leaders
- literacy coaches
- middle and high school English teachers
- teacher leadership and research
- Approaches to Research
- Methods and Issues in Teaching Language
- Methods and Issues in Teaching Composition
- Advanced Studies in English Education
- Applied Project
- Central Arizona Writing Project
- Teaching Young Adult Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Literature View 989 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Arizona State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants are eligible to apply if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree in English, creative writing, English education, secondary education or secondary curriculum and instruction, or a master's degree in education or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution. Current certification in secondary English language arts (grades 6-12), or equivalent certification, or a minimum of two years teaching English language arts in a school setting is required.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00= "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00= "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- statement of purpose
- resume or curriculum vitae
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26460 USD per year during 12 months.
National24498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24498 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12014 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12014 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.