The admissions period for our Master's 2023-24 is open!
The BSE Financial Economics Program builds on the School's outstanding faculty in Finance, Economics, Econometrics and Data Science. The program is aimed at students that seek an interdisciplinary approach that combines Finance and Economics. It is designed to give students the strong modeling techniques, econometric tools, and advanced coding skills needed for the top jobs in banking, consulting and fintech.
The Financial Economics Program is built around three pillars:
- Concepts: acquire an in-depth understanding of the theory of Finance and Economics
- Modeling: learn how to construct and implement financial models
- Data analysis: apply Econometrics, Statistics and Data Science techniques to analyze complex financial data
94% career placement success within six months of graduation
Our graduates excel at designing and implementing complex financial and economics models; they have a strong understanding of the theory; and can apply their programming skills (R, Matlab, Stata and Python) to the analysis of large datasets.
Thanks to their ability to analyze and model data intensive problems, and to communicate results effectively, our graduates are in high demand from a wide range of industries, including consulting, banking, risk management and derivatives trading, portfolio and investment management, fintech, and central banks.
Most of our Financial Economics students have a background in Economics or in a quantitative subject. Proof will be required showing an undergraduate degree with a substantial number of quantitative subjects, or GRE to demonstrate quantitative ability (however, the GRE is not mandatory for this program).
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Advanced quantitative knowledge in finance
- Modeling techniques for financial problems
- Use of programming languages for finance applications
- Econometric techniques for the analysis of financial data
Who hires Financial Economics graduates?
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Services
- Government & Authorities
- Research & Academic Institutions
- Other Industries
Examples of recent placements:
- Banco Central del Perú - Senior Macroeconomic Analyst - Lima, Peru
- Bank of England - Market Intelligence Analyst - London, United Kingdom
- CaixaBank Research - Research Assistant (Macroeconomics Department) - Barcelona, Spain
- Deloitte - Banking risk advisory - Barcelona, Spain
- European Investment Bank (EIB) - Trainee at the General Secretariat Directorate – Economics Department – Country and Finance Sector Analysis Division - Luxembourg, Luxembourg
- ING - International Talent Program (ITP) - Brussels, Belgium
- OECD - Trainee in the Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) - Paris, France
- Oxera - Senior Consultant - London, United Kingdom
- Cognizant - Financial Planning & Analytics - Chennai, India
- United States Federal Reserve - Financial Institution Policy Analyst - Washington, DC, United States
Here is a brief profile of the classmates that a Master's student in the BSE Class of 2022 will meet this year:
- Most students have undergraduate degrees in Economics or Finance. Others come from Engineering, Mathematics, or other backgrounds.
- Most of the students has work experience before joining BSE, but there are other students who were accepted to pursue the Master's programs immediately after obtaining their undergraduate degrees.
- All continents are represented in the Class of 2022. This year, students come from 49 different countries, with 86% of students coming from outside of Spain and 44% of students coming from outside Europe.
All Barcelona School of Economics Master's degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities and within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
The Barcelona School of Economics has been distinguished as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence in every edition of the program (2012-15; 2016-19; 2020-23)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
A key advantage of our Master in Finance is that students can benefit from BSE top faculty teaching in a wide range of courses in their field of expertise. In particular, students with an interest in quantitative techniques can take electives in advanced econometric methods, optimization techniques, advanced programming, and machine learning, while students who are interested in economics topics can choose among the advanced economics courses in macroeconomics, monetary policy, and exchange rates.
In September, students are required to take the following brush-up courses:
- Calculus and Linear Algebra
- Probability and Statistics
During the first weeks of Term 1, students have the opportunity to take an introductory Matlab course, highly recommended for those students who have never used it before or want to reinforce their knowledge.
Who will benefit from this program?
- Graduates in Economics or Finance with an interest in modeling techniques and data analysis
- Graduates in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics that want to pursue a career in Finance
- Analysts and policy-makers at financial or supervisory authorities
- Aspiring PhD students
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFinance Data Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 19 other Masters in Machine Learning in Spain
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- GRE General Test
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
EU/EEA16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Types of financial aid that may be offered to students include:
- Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
- A limited number of fully-funded scholarships
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates who have an outstanding academic record. While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply before January 15.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.