An interdisciplinary approach combining Finance and Economics
The Barcelona GSE Finance Program builds on the School's outstanding faculty in Finance, Economics, Econometrics and Data Science. The program is aimed at students that seek an interdisciplinary approach that combines Finance and Economics. It is designed to give students the strong modeling techniques, econometric tools, and advanced coding skills needed for the top jobs in banking, consulting and fintech.
The Finance Program is built around three pillars:
Concepts: acquire an in-depth understanding of the theory of Finance and Economics
Modeling: learn how to construct and implement financial models
Data analysis: apply Econometrics, Statistics and Data Science techniques to analyze complex financial data
94% career placement success within six months of graduation
Our graduates excel at designing and implementing complex financial and economics models; they have a strong understanding of the theory; and can apply their programming skills (R, Matlab, Stata and (optional) Python) to the analysis of large datasets.
Thanks to their ability to analyze and model data intensive problems, and to communicate results effectively, our graduates are in high demand from a wide range of industries, including consulting, banking, risk management and derivatives trading, portfolio and investment management, fintech, and central banks.
Most of our Finance students have a background in Economics or in a quantitative subject. Proof will be required showing an undergraduate degree with a substantial number of quantitative subjects, or GRE to demonstrate quantitative ability (however, the GRE is not mandatory for this program).
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Advanced quantitative knowledge in finance
- Modeling techniques for financial problems
- Use of programming languages for finance applications
- Econometric techniques for the analysis of financial data
Who hires Finance graduates?
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Services
- Government & Authorities
- Research & Academic Institutions
- Other Industries
Examples of recent Finance placements:
- Bloomberg − Analyst − London, United Kingdom
- Cass Business School − London − United Kingdom, Cass Business School (London, United Kingdom)
- Central Reserve Bank of Peru − Senior Analyst at Financial Research Department − Lima, Peru
- Central Reserve Bank of Peru − Senior Macroeconomic Analyst − Lima, Peru
- Cognizant − Financial Planning & Analytics − Chennai, India
- European Investment Bank (EIB) − Trainee at the General Secretariat Directorate – Economics Department – Country and Finance Sector Analysis Division − Luxembourg, Luxembourg
- Federal Reserve − Financial Institution Policy Analyst Department: Reserve Bank Operations and Payment Systems (RBOPS)--Financial Market Infrasturctures (FMIs) − Washington DC, United States
- IESE Business School − PhD Student − Barcelona, Spain
- OECD − Trainee in the Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) − Paris, France
- Oxera − Financial Analyst − Oxford, United Kingdom
- Oxera − Senior Consultant − London, United Kingdom
- PwC − Graduate Programme − Madrid, Spain
- Tilburg University − PhD Student − Tilburg, Netherlands
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) − PhD Student − Barcelona, Spain
- University of Cambridge − Master's Student − Cambridge, United Kingdom
All Barcelona GSE Master degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities and within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
The Barcelona GSE has been distinguished as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence in every edition of the program (2012-15; 2016-19; 2020-23)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
A key advantage of our Master in Finance is that students can benefit from BGSE top faculty teaching in a wide range of courses in their field of expertise. In particular, students with an interest in quantitative techniques can take electives in advanced econometric methods, optimization techniques, advanced programming, and machine learning, while students who are interested in economics topics can choose among the advanced economics courses in macroeconomics, monetary policy, and exchange rates.
In the Fall term, students are required to take 3 out of the following brush-up courses:
- Calculus and Linear Algebra
- Probability and Statistics
- R Programming Language
During the first weeks of Term 1, students have the opportunity to take an introductory Matlab course, highly recommended for those students who have never used it before or want to reinforce their knowledge.
Who will benefit from this program?
- Graduates in Economics or Finance with an interest in modeling techniques and data analysis
- Graduates in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics that want to pursue a career in Finance
- Analysts and policy-makers at financial or supervisory authorities
- Aspiring PhD students
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Data Science & Big Data View 39 other Masters in Economics in Spain
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- GRE General Test
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR per year during 9 months.
EU/EEA16500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR per year during 9 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Each year, the Barcelona GSE awards around 800,000€ in merit-based financial aid to Master's students. On average, 36% of matriculated students in the cohort receive full or partial financial aid. This funding comes from generous public and private sponsors and from the Barcelona GSE's own funds.
Types of financial aid that may be offered to students include:
- Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
- A limited number of fully-funded scholarships
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates who have an outstanding academic record. While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply before January 15.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.