How and why do particular public policies get implemented? How are they designed? How do we know if they work? Why are some policies more successful than others?
National-level finance and planning involve big numbers: pensions, health systems, income support, social programs, and so forth. Successful public policies can make all the difference for the lives of millions of individuals, with numbers and effects become much larger for developed countries and faster growth in developing ones.
Students will be drilled in commanding advanced empirical public policy evaluation tools and will be ready to use these tools in practice.
Students will be exposed to the views of experts from fields other than Economics in order to build an appreciation for the multidisciplinary nature of public policy design and evaluation. A master's advisor will guide each student in completing an independent master's project by the end of the program, allowing specialization in a policy topic of the student's choice.
Our graduates will be prepared to take on analytical positions at public institutions, international organizations, consulting firms, research institutions, and think tanks.
Graduates will also be well-prepared to pursue advanced post-graduate study of Policy or Economics.
All Barcelona School of Economics Master degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities and within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
The Barcelona School of Economics has been distinguished as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence in every edition of the program (2012-15; 2016-19; 2020-23)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
In the Fall term, students will have the opportunity to take a brush-up course in mathematics and statistics. This courses is not mandatory but highly recommended to assure a smooth start.
A master project, which will be supervised in regular meetings with an advisor, will allow each student to put their knowledge into practice and improve their writing and exposition skills.
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Confidence in examining and discussion of the Economic theory behind the design and evaluation of public policies
- Applied analysis in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Information Economics, Game Theory, and Political Economy
- Command of state-of-the-art empirical tools to evaluate policies and impacts
- Expert knowledge of institutional framework contexts where public policies are designed and implemented
- Ability to communicate in written technical and non-technical policy reports based on multidisciplinary approaches
Who will benefit from this program?
- Students with Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, Political Science, Public Policy, or Statistical backgrounds
- Junior analysts or professionals from the workforce looking to upgrade their analytical skills
- Aspiring Ph.D. students who want to build a solid foundation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Econometrics Public Policy View 10 other Masters in Econometrics in Spain
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- GRE General Test
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
EU/EEA16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Types of financial aid that may be offered to students include:
- Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
- A limited number of fully-funded scholarships
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates who have an outstanding academic record. While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply before January 15.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.