The Economics Program's dual theoretical and empirical approach gives students an excellent grounding and deep understanding of the field's foundations and applications. Students will learn how to use powerful analytical and quantitative tools, and they will design and conduct an independent master's project.
95% placed within six months of graduation.
In the three most recent cohorts of the Economics Program, 95% of graduates were hired for jobs related to the Master's Degree or gained admission to a PhD or other post-graduate program.
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Solid command of analytical and quantitative Economics
- Knowledge of a wide range of specializations in different fields of economics
- Competence in both theoretical and empirical approaches, from foundation to application and policy
- Expert subject knowledge in writing and discussion of graduate-level economics
- Facility with tools necessary to successfully pursue a top Ph.D. in economics
Who hires Economics graduates?
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Services
- Government & Authorities
- International Organizations / Non-profits
- Research & Academic Institutions
- Other Industries
Examples of recent Economics placements:
- Accenture − Data Analyst − Munich, Germany
- Bloomberg − Data Analyst/Researcher − London, United Kingdom
- Cambridge Economic Policy Associates (CEPA) − Junior Economist − London, United Kingdom
- Compass Lexecon − Analyst − Paris, France
- European Central Bank (ECB) − Trainee in Monetary Policy Strategy Division − Frankfurt, Germany
- European Central Bank (ECB) − Traineeship − Frankfurt, Germany
- Frontier Economics − Analyst − London, United Kingdom
- Goldman Sachs − Macro Research Internship − London, United Kingdom
- Inter-American Development Bank − Research Fellow − Washington DC, United States
- J.P. Morgan − Junior Economics − London, United Kingdom
- JPAL − Policy and Research Analyst − Lima, Peru
- KPMG − Financial Risk Management Consultant − Barcelona, Spain
- OECD − Traineeship − Paris, France
- Oxford Economics − Graduate Programme − London, United Kingdom
- The Brattle Group − Research Analyst − London/Brussels, United Kingdom
- UBS − Investment Banking Analyst − London, United Kingdom
- United Nations (UN) − Consultant − Montevideo, Uruguay
- University of Zurich − Research Assistant − Zurich, Switzerland
Here is a brief profile of the classmates that a Master's student in the BSE Class of 2022 will meet this year:
- Most students have undergraduate degrees in Economics or Finance. Others come from Engineering, Mathematics, or other backgrounds.
- Most of the students has work experience before joining BSE, but there are other students who were accepted to pursue the Master's programs immediately after obtaining their undergraduate degrees.
- All continents are represented in the Class of 2022. This year, students come from 49 different countries, with 86% of students coming from outside of Spain and 44% of students coming from outside Europe.
All Barcelona School of Economics Master degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities and within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
The Barcelona School of Economics has been distinguished as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence in every edition of the program (2012-15; 2016-19; 2020-23)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Specialized elective courses
The Economics Program course list is broad enough to offer students specialized training in a number of areas, such as:
- Macroeconomics with a focus on monetary and fiscal policy
- Political Economy
- Labor and Public Economics
- International Economics
- Development Economics
- Business and market organization
- Behavioral and Experimental Economics
- Financial Economics
Who will benefit from this program?
- Graduate students in economics, mathematics, or engineering
- Junior analysts or professionals from the workforce looking for a postgraduate degree with advanced tools in quantitative economics
- Aspiring PhD students looking for a rigorous master program in economics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Econometrics Statistics View 39 other Masters in Economics in Spain
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- GRE General Test
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
National16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Types of financial aid that may be offered to students include:
- Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
- A limited number of fully-funded scholarships
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates who have an outstanding academic record. While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply before January 15.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.