The digital revolution brings with it an explosion of data that carries significant potential value for businesses, science, and society.
As data becomes easily available as never before, so too does its volume grow, and extracting useful quantitative insights becomes more and more challenging.
The curriculum will guide students from modeling and theory to computational practice and cutting-edge tools, teaching skills that are in growing global demand.
Data Science Methodology students will be armed with a solid knowledge of statistical and machine learning methods, optimization and computing, and the ability to spot, assess, and seize the opportunity of data-driven value creation.
Students will learn how to apply classroom examples using real data and answer concrete business questions from the perspectives of different industries. Through an independent master's project and the opportunity for industrial practicum work conducted with local businesses, students can have the opportunity to solve actual analytics problems hands-on.
Our courses are taught by leading academics and researchers in the fields of Economics, Operations, and Statistics, as well as experienced professionals from the analytics industry.
The program also invites guest speakers and entrepreneurs working at the frontiers of the Data Science.
Who hires Data Science Methodology graduates?
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Services
- Government & Authorities
- International Organizations / Non-profits
- Research & Academic Institutions
- Other Industries
Examples of recent professional placements:
- Accenture − Analyst − Barcelona, Spain
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center − Data Scientist (Postdoctoral) − Barcelona, Spain
- Blackrock − Data Science Intern − London, United Kingdom
- Caixa Business Intelligence − Data Scientist − Barcelona, Spain
- Centre for Research in Health & Economics and UPF (CRES-UPF) − Data Scientist − Barcelona, Spain
- CoinFi − Data Scientist − Hong Kong, China
- Criteo − Local Analyst − Stockholm, Sweden
- European Investment Bank (EIB) − Traineeship in Statistics − Luxembourg, Luxembourg
- Fresenius Medical Care − Junior Data Scientist − Berlin, Germany
- International Labour Organization (ILO) − Data Scientist − Geneva, Switzerland
- International Telecommunication Union − Market Analyst − Geneva, Switzerland
- Munich Airport − Data Scientist − Munich, Germany
- Novartis − Advanced Analytics Specialist − Barcelona, Spain
- OECD Directorate for Public Governance and Territorial Development − Data Science Intern − Paris, France
- Sanofi − Statistical Forecaster − Barcelona, Spain
- Social Point − Game Data Scientist − Barcelona, Spain
- Telefónica − Research Data Scientist − Barcelona, Spain
- The Washington Post − Digital Analyst − Washington DC, United States
- World Bank − Data Scientist/ Research Analyst − Washington DC, United States
Examples of recent Data Science Methodology PhD placements:
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
- University College London
- University of California San Diego
Here is a brief profile of the classmates that a Master's student in the BSE Class of 2022 will meet this year:
- Most students have undergraduate degrees in Economics or Finance. Others come from Engineering, Mathematics, or other backgrounds.
- Most of the students has work experience before joining BSE, but there are other students who were accepted to pursue the Master's programs immediately after obtaining their undergraduate degrees.
- All continents are represented in the Class of 2022. This year, students come from 49 different countries, with 86% of students coming from outside of Spain and 44% of students coming from outside Europe.
All Barcelona GSE Master degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities and within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
The Barcelona GSE has been distinguished as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence in every edition of the program (2012-15; 2016-19; 2020-23)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Data Science Methodology program is organized around four pillars:
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Optimization and Operational Research
- Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and Big Data Analytics
- Economics, Finance, and Policy-Making
In September, students are required to take three brush-up courses. Students who can provide evidence of sufficient past coursework may be exempt:
- Introduction to Computing
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Mathematics
Backgrounds in Economics, Business, and other quantitative subjects. They typically have a solid economics grounding, a keen interest in quantitative methods, and the ambition to work on real-world problems and data. Programming professionals and aspiring PhD students looking to acquire analytical and quantitative tools will also benefit from the Barcelona GSE Data Science Methodology Program.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Data Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 35 other Masters in Economics in Spain
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- GRE General Test
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
EU/EEA18500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Types of financial aid that may be offered to students include:
- Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
- A limited number of fully-funded scholarships
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates who have an outstanding academic record. While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply before January 15.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.