On this International Urban Design MSc course offered at De Montfort University you will gain an advanced design skillset that will enable you to create innovative solutions to the complex social, economic and environmental factors affecting cities. The course is designed to develop your spatial understanding of current theories and principles whilst challenging you to respond to the cultural issues, spatial traditions and histories of city form and design, and the global challenges in 21st century urbanisation.
We will teach and support you to take risks and creatively explore ideas to tackle complex problems and produce critical work. The curriculum concludes with a ‘thesis’ module, a chance to use your conceptual understanding of design to transform urban contexts and independently plan tasks at a professional level.
You will learn to articulate, communicate and illustrate complex city analyses and proposals, underpinned by current practice, theories, and understanding of global urban issues. Graduates will be ideally placed for careers in city planning and architectural design offices, and urban and commercial development consultancy. Upon your graduation you will also be able to join the Urban Design Group as a member and as a recognised practitioner.
- The long-standing Leicester School of Architecture is one of the oldest schools in the UK. Our approach draws upon years of experience to challenge conventions and redefine the future of architectural practice.
- Be supported to tackle real-world issues, while speculating and proposing new futures through bold experimentation.
- Choose to undertake a year-long work placement, gaining valuable experience to enhance and embed your practical and professional skills.
- Learn from dedicated tutors from industry, practice and research, who ensure your work is responding to contemporary, real-world issues grounded in theory and practice.
- Benefit from collaborative learning in studio groups within our supportive and interdisciplinary student community.
- Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish.
- The skills and capacity to address challenges of sustainable architecture and development are in high demand by city planning and architectural design offices and urban and commercial development consultancy. Our graduates have successfully joined international practices and government organisations. Graduates will also be able to join the Urban Design Group as a member and recognised practitioner.
- The sophisticated research skills you will develop on this course also provide excellent preparation to progress onto a PhD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods and Urban Design Theory
- International Design Research Studio
- Urban Design Studio
- Comprehensive Dissertation
- Urban Design Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design Urban Planning View 67 other Masters in Industrial Design in United Kingdom
- You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK bachelor’s honours degree in a relevant subject such as Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Town Planning, Geography, Urban Studies, Engineering Design, Three-Dimensional Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design and Product Design
- If you have no formal academic qualiﬁcations but have extensive industry experience, we will consider your application on an individual basis
- Applicants with relevant qualifications should submit a portfolio of work. Non-standard applicants will be invited to attend an interview with a portfolio.
- Download and complete the international application form
- A copy of your qualifications
- A copy of your English language certificate
- A personal statement of at least 500 words explaining why you want to study your chosen course at DMU and any additional information that will support your application
- A copy of your passport
- Two references
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8350 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU: £14,600
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.