Utilizing comparative, transnational, diasporic, and global perspectives, the MA in Global and Sociocultural Studies program from Florida International University pursues research on these themes through a variety of theoretical approaches and by utilizing qualitative, quantitative, and applied research methods.
The program’s research and teaching themes reflect and resonate with FIU’s location in one of the world’s most dynamic regions: the greater metropolitan area of Miami—a hemispheric crossroads of sociocultural, political, economic, and environmental forces bridging the United States with the Caribbean and Latin America, the Atlantic region, and the world at large.
The program’s inclusion within the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) affords students a wealth of research and associated opportunities through FIU’s Latin American and Caribbean Center; Program in African and African Diaspora Studies; Institute for Asian Studies; European Union Center; and Center for Labor Research and Studies, to name just a few.
GSS collaborates with its partner departments within SIPA and the School of Environment and Society (SEAS). It also maintains close relationships with programs such as Women’s Studies; the departments of History and Psychology; the Stempel School of Public Health; and the College of Medicine.
- Latin American Seminar
- Ethnohistorical Methods
- Violence & Healing
- Theory in GEO
- Theory & Inquiry
- Special Topics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Sociology View 381 other Masters in International Relations in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Florida International University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Complete an online application
- Official transcripts from previous undergraduate and graduate programs
- Official GRE - we evaluate GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical) separately and in relation to other admissions criteria
- International graduate student applicants whose native language is not English: TOEFL or IELTS scores, sent directly by the Educational Testing Service.
- Personal statement
- Students applying to the GSS doctoral program should include a writing sample, such as a paper or thesis, in their applications.
- CV/Resume - past training and educational background (including type of undergraduate program, prior degrees, and professional experience)
- Students applying to the GSS doctoral program should have a minimum 3.0 grade point average from their undergraduate study or from graduate training in another program.
- Three (3) recommendations from applicants’ former professors, mentors and colleagues
International18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9015 USD per semester during 12 months.
National18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9015 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State8202 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4101 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for West Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.