Graduate students in the Master of Arts degree in English at Florida International University must become familiar with not only the primary literature but also the pertinent research in their chosen track:
This track emphasizes advanced research in literary and cultural studies. Students in the program develop their knowledge of multiple "English Literatures" (particularly North American, British, and Caribbean) across media, employing diverse theoretical and critical approaches. Graduates of the program have gone on to careers in high school and college teaching as well as other fields that draw on their well-honed research and communication skills, such as journalism, social advocacy, and government. The program also has a successful track record in placing interested students in PhD programs in English and Comparative Literature.
Writing and Rhetoric
In this track, we engage with students' diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds, build on their 21st-century literacies, and support them as they learn to communicate more effectively in university, community, K-12, and professional contexts. Graduates of the Writing and Rhetoric track can work as professional writers in private industry, governmental, and nonprofit organizations, and as writing instructors at the secondary and postsecondary level. The track also provides excellent preparation for graduate study such as a PhD in Rhetoric and Composition.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- As scholars and teachers of literature, we examine and seek to understand the stories that constitute us and our world. Appreciating the power of language necessarily means recognizing its reach into every facet of human life. It also means recognizing the role of language and interpretation in establishing and contesting unjust power structures that perpetuate colonial institutions and knowledge formations. We seek to foster a community of inquiry, inclusion, and social responsibility poised to addressing these many aspects of our human existence and its material and symbolic contexts.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 724 other Masters in Literature in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- GPA: 3.0 undergraduate
- GRE: Not required
- Applicant Statement / Letter of Intent: In no more than 1000 words, describe the relevant academic, personal and/or professional experiences compelling you pursue advanced study in English. If you were not an English major in college, please take care to describe your qualifications for advanced study in English.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two letters required from undergraduate or graduate literature, and/or writing and rhetoric professors.
- Additional Requirements: Minimum 10-page writing sample demonstrating your advanced skills in literary or rhetorical research and analysis.
- Optional Requirements: Statement of purpose indicating a desire to be considered for a teaching assistantship.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9015 USD per semester during 24 months.
National18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9015 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State8202 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4101 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for West Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.