The Design by Data - Computational Design, Digital Manufacturing and Building Technologies program from École des Ponts ParisTech is designed for a selected group of architects, engineers, designers and digital artists and offering a variety of courses, fabrication and prototyping workshops, conferences, digital talks and networking events. The program takes place in a number of locations in Paris and is a real opportunity to enter an international ecosystem of architectural innovation.
Design by Data has three main goals:
- providing participants with a solid knowledge of innovative digital cultures and computational tools based on both technical skills and artistic sensibility.
- giving students a broad set of expertise to take advantage of new technologies in manufacturing and digital fabrication (CNC prototyping, 3D printing, industrial fabrication, aerial robotics, etc.).
- encouraging a process-oriented approach to design based on theory of genetic optimisation and the use of environmental data in architecture.
The program prepares graduates for a number of high-level positions in architectural design with a strong emphasis on digital innovation, computational robotics and manufacturing. Graduates of the program may qualify for positions in architectural offices, urban design studios, construction firms specialized in complex geometry, robotics and digital fabrication, graphic design, art studios, consulting innovation firms, 3D printing platforms and software development companies.
Holders of this program will pursue the following careers, from amongst others
- Project Manager
- Computational Designer
- Façade consultant
- Structural engineer expert in complex geometry
- Fablab Director
- Chief Design Officer
- Interaction Designer
- Robot and Drone Designer
The program is accredited by La Conférence des Grandes Écoles
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Management and Design of Complex Geometries
- Conceptual Structural Design
- Performance-driven Design
- Algorithmic Optimization
- Robotic for the Construction Industry
- 16 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Informatics & Information Sciences Data Science & Big Data View 20 other Masters in Informatics & Information Sciences in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Candidates must hold a 4/5-year higher education qualification: Bac+5, or Bac+4 with professional experience.
- A good knowledge of 3D modeling is required.
International9750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 16 months.
EU/EEA9750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 16 months.
- €13.000 for students who pay for the course themselves.
- €17.000 for students for whom the course is financed by a company or organisation.
École des Ponts ParisTech has so-called “referenceable” status in “datadock”. This status means that it can be included in the reference catalogues of the bodies that fund professional training and can therefore receive match or public funding.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.