The objective of the M.A. degree in African and African Diaspora Studies from Florida International University is to prepare scholars for professional positions in a range of fields and for further study at the Ph.D. level. The M.A. degree can be taken either on-site or online.
Multidisciplinary in scope and diverse in approach, the M.A. program in AADS is ideal for candidates interested in a wide array of subjects pertaining to African America, continental Africa and the African diaspora. These include: Social and Public Policy, Cultural Studies, International Relations, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Literary Study, History, Globalization Studies, Education, Religious Studies, Trans-Atlantic Studies, Critical Race Studies, Sociology, and Anthropology.
The M.A. degree prepares graduates for further study at the Ph.D. level, as well as for professional positions in the public, private, non-profit and international arenas and for employment in education, public policy, public administration, journalism, international organization and other fields.
- African and African Diaspora Studies Theory
- Research Methods and Scholarly Writing in Africana Studies
- African and African Diaspora Studies Graduate Colloquium
- Special Topics in African and African Diaspora Studies
- Teaching the African American Experience
- Health Issues in the African World
- National and Transnational Policy Analysis: The African Diaspora
- Advanced Seminar in African and African Diaspora Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Political Science View 343 other Masters in International Relations in United States
- A statement of purpose, expressing the applicant's academic and professional objectives to the Director of the African & African Diaspora Studies Graduate Program.
- Writing samples and other relevant professional work that may support the application.
- Three letters of recommendation from university professors who are able to comment on the applicant’s academic potential.
- A current Curriculum Vitae or resume.
- Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Applicants must have an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and a combined score of 1050 or higher on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
International18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9015 USD per semester during 12 months.
National18030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9015 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State8202 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4101 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for West Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.