The Musical Theater Studies is a 30-credit, one-year master’s degree at Temple University that emphasizes hands-on learning and instruction to prepare graduates for careers in education, performance or production in musical theater.Achieve practical training through an interdisciplinary, progressive curriculum that blends classroom study with musical theater performance skills. You’ll gain expertise in all facets of musical theater through coursework focused on:
- American musical theater,
- dramatic composition,
- performing arts direction and
- the business of theater.
You’ll study with faculty from both the Boyer College of Music and Dance and the School of Theater, Film and Media Arts. The Musical Theater Studies MA faculty members’ experience includes screen and stage performances across an array of fields, all housed within a nationally accredited theater department.
The degree serves as a bridge for further specialization in the area of musical theater for students coming from the various genres of music, theater, and dance who seek more advanced graduate education. Skills acquired in teaching and producing musicals in primary and secondary education could lead to immediate employment. The skills and expertise acquired would also apply to educational positions and outreach programs affiliated with professional theaters.
- American Musical Theater
- Directing for the Musical Stage
- The Business of the Business in Theater
- Inclusive Vocal Development: Pre-Kindergarten - Secondary
- Assessment of Music Learning
- Musical Theater Voice and Acting
- Musical Theater Scene Study
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 331 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 3
- Statement of Goals: In approximately 500 words, explain your personal interests, educational aims, and professional goals, along with relevant biographical information.
- Standardized Test Scores
- Resume: Current resume required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International43230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1441 USD per credit during 12 months.
National43230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1441 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State32340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1078 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.