The mission of the Master in Latin American and Latino Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago is to offer an interdisciplinary perspective to the study of both contemporary Latin American societies and of historical minorities and immigrants of Latin American descent living in the United States.
This program emphasizes the histories and experiences of Latin American people as they enter into a transnational dialogue that defines both American and Latin American identities, cultures, economies, and politics in the 21st century.
The program encourages an interdisciplinary approach that ranges across the social sciences, humanities, cultural studies, and history.
- Latin American and Latinx Critical Thought
- Latinos and Latin American in Transnational Context
- Interdisciplinary Research Methods in Latin American and Latino Studies
- Studies in Language Policy and Cultural Identity
- Andean Prehistory
- Topics in Latin American and Latino Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 788 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Applicants are considered on an individual basis. The program will accept and review applications for the fall semester only. Transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted.
- Tests Required GRE.
- Letters of Recommendation Three letters required, preferably from faculty members in social sciences and humanities.
- Resume/CV A resume or CV is required.
- Personal Statement Required. The statement must address the applicant's professional and academic goals and the candidate’s reasons for applying to a Latin American and Latino Studies graduate program. The statement should have a maximum extension of three double-spaced pages.
International24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 24 months.
National24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5935 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.