At the University of Illinois at Chicago the Art History programme introduces students to works of art, architecture and design that have changed the course of history. Classes cover all historical periods and most of the world’s cultures. Students are trained in the fundamentals of critical thinking, historical analysis, visual literacy, and theoretical understanding. These are skills that are evermore important in our evermore visually mediated world.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Historiography of the Visual Arts, 1750 to 1960
- Toward New Histories of the Visual Arts, 1960 to the Present
- Art History Teaching Seminar
- Ancient/Medieval/Early Modern (before 1800)
- Modern/Contemporary (after 1800)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 458 other Masters in Art History in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Illinois at Chicago and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Grade Point Average: At least 3.00 (A=4.00) for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Optional Test: GRE general.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three required from faculty members or others familiar with the applicant’s training, ability, and experience.
- Personal Statement: Applicants must submit a short statement of purpose (2–3 pages) that should address the reasons for pursuing the MA in Art History at UIC and the relationship of this work to their professional and career objectives.
- Writing Sample: Applicants must submit a sample of their written work (approximately 15 pages).
International24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 12 months.
National24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5935 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.