It provides students with the theoretical, methodological and professional foundations required for understanding various forms of inequality as they intersect with the criminal justice system, and improving access to justice.
The MA in Criminology and Social Justice at the Ryerson University offers structured yet flexible options for pursuing advanced study. The graduate program combines theoretical training in Criminology and socio-legal studies, with practical, real-world knowledge and experience. Optional field placement positions complement classroom learning and give students opportunities to apply knowledge while developing valuable networking, mentoring and career-related skills.
The MA in Criminology and Social Justice prepares students for professional and leadership roles in private, public and non-profit sectors related to social justice, including: local communities, NGOs, government, international organizations, the legal profession and academia.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Criminology and Social Justice Seminar
- Critical Engagement with Criminological Theories
- Field Placement
- Inequality, Social Justice and Criminal Justice
- Justice Policy
- Practitioners Seminar
- Additional courses offered by other Ryerson MA/PhD programs
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Course work only, which requires students complete 3 required plus 5 elective courses
- Course and field placement option, which requires students to take 3 required and 4 elective courses and a summer field placement.
- Course work and a major research paper, which requires 3 required and 3 elective courses plus a Major Research Paper.
DisciplinesCriminal Law Public Law Criminology View 20 other Masters in Public Law in Canada
- Completion of a four-year undergraduate (or equivalent degree) from an accredited institution
- Statement of interest
- Two letters of recommendation
- Sample of work
- English language proficiency requirement
International23795 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23795 CAD per year during 12 months.
National9038 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9038 CAD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Toronto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.