Studying languages first means learning how they work through the theories and methods of linguistics. However, knowing about linguistics is not enough to fully understand the role of a language in human communication. On the one hand, in fact, it is necessary to know how to "read" the social and cultural context in which languages are used, while on the other hand knowing the digital tools provided by modern language technologies is necessary as well.
At the end of your Master in Applied Linguistics at Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, you will be able to apply your knowledge to document, describe and analyse languages and dialects in very different social and cultural contexts. You will also be able to use and create language resources for professional and research purposes.
The Master trains specialists in linguistics with job prospects in the fields of:
- communication (audio-video, web, publishing)
- protection and promotion of languages and multilingualism (cultural institutions, public administrations)
- language technologies (software companies)
- language teaching (language schools)
- scientific research (PhD).
- Language acquisition and language policy
- General Sociology
- Advanced Issues in Linguistics
- Language Documentation
- Acoustic and Articulatory Phonetics
- Minority Language
- German Dialectology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Applications for the 2022 intake are open from 1 March to 28 April 2022 for both EU and non-EU citizens, and from 19 May to 8 July 2022 for EU citizens only.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 6 other Masters in Literature in Italy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To gain admission to this programme you need one of the following qualifications:
- A bachelor or a final degree obtained according to the regulations previously in force;
- a three-year university diploma;
- an equivalent qualification gained abroad.
- 1st language: C1
- 2nd language: B2
- 3rd language: no level required
International1350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1350 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1350 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bolzano - Bozen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.