Master of Library and Information Studies degree at the University of Rhode Island
Graduates benefit from the experiential education and mandatory internships offered, as well as the robust alumni network our longstanding institution maintains. With the mentorship of dedicated faculty and advisors, students can tailor programs in a personalized manner to fit their needs and choose from four optional tracks in leadership, information equity, school library media, and digital media.
Taught in a flexible, asynchronous learning format, the program prepares knowledgeable, ethical, and engaged library and information leaders and professionals to serve the information needs of diverse communities. As one of the first accelerated online MLIS programs, full-time students can complete their master’s in as little as one year. Part-time students can complete in two years.
Our graduates work in public, school, and special library settings in communities throughout the United States and abroad in major cities, corporations, government and nonprofit organizations. Job titles include:
- School Librarian
- Information Specialist
- Digital Media Specialist
- Metadata Specialist
- Information Scientist
- Lead, Manage & Connect Library and Information Services
- Collection Management
- Searching for Answers: Meeting Users' Information Needs
- Organization of Information
- Information Science and Technology
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLibrary Science Informatics & Information Technology View 53 other Masters in Library Science in United States
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A 500-800 word statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from previous instructors or employers
- Unofficial digital transcripts (to be uploaded to your application) and official transcripts.
- Credit for Courses Taken Prior to Admission and/or Taken at Other Institutions: Subject to the approval of the GSLIS director and the dean of the Graduate School.
- Current Resume
International28908 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 803 USD per credit during 12 months.
National28908 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 803 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State28908 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 803 USD per credit during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.