- The MFA faculty is committed to supporting its graduate students with teaching assistantships for the full three years it takes most students to complete the program, offering them the opportunity to teach not only Freshman Composition and Expository Writing but Introduction to Creative Writing as well.
- At The University of New Mexico , we believe that MFA students should not go wildly into debt while completing their degrees. For this reason we encourage all applicants to our program to apply for teaching assistantships. Our program is small by national standards, but with a relatively small student-faculty ratio and competitive teaching stipends for three years, we believe we offer our MFA students the chance to fully immerse themselves in writing without the exorbitant price tags attached to some other MFA programs.
- In the same spirit, UNM’s MFA Program prepares graduate students for professional lives outside the program, offering coursework not only in creative writing pedagogy, teaching composition, writing theory for teachers, and teaching literature and literary studies, but also electives in editing, proposal and grant writing, publishing, technical writing, documentation, and scientific, environmental, and medical writing.
- We offer our students practical internships in editing and arts administration through Blue Mesa Review, UNM Press, and two highly popular reading series. MFA students have taught students at local high schools and through program affiliations with such illustrious nonprofit organizations as the Lannan Foundation and the National Hispanic Cultural Center.
- Through internships at the Taos Summer Writers’ Conference, MFA students have studied craft with such luminaries as Wally Lamb, Elizabeth Strout, Dorothy Allison, Pam Houston, Antonya Nelson, Robert Boswell, and John Dufresne. Recent visiting writers include Sherman Alexie, Augusten Burroughs, Emily Rapp, Charles McLeod, Richard Garcia, and Luis J. Rodriguez.
- During their final three semesters, students work individually with a faculty mentor on a book-length creative dissertation suitable for publication. Among recent graduates who have published books are Robyn Mundy (The Nature of Ice), Juan Morales (Friday and the Year that Followed), Gary Jackson (Missing You, Metropolis, winner of the Cave Canem Poetry Prize), Molly Beer (with David Dunaway, Singing Out: An Oral History of America’s Folk Music Revival), Israel Wasserstein (This Ecstasy They Call Damnation), Richard Vargas (McLife, American Jesus), Tanaya Winder (Soul Talk, Song Language: Conversations with Joy Harjo), and Paul Bogard (The End of Night).
- Fiction Workshop
- Poetry Workshop
- Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- Genre Studies
- British Literature to 1660
- British Literature from 1660 to 1900
- American Literature to 1900
- Literatures in English since 1900
- Literary Criticism and Theory, Rhetoric and Writing
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts Literature View 385 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Letter of Intent
- Writing Sample
- Letters of Recommendation (minimum 3)
- Applicants for the MA program must hold a Bachelor's degree in English, or, in exceptional circumstances as approved by the Graduate Admissions Committee, in a cognate discipline such as Comparative Languages and Literature, Cultural Studies, American Studies, or Linguistics
- Academic Transcripts
International27846 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27846 USD per year during 18 months.
National27846 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27846 USD per year during 18 months.
In-State8757 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8757 USD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.