Students at the Master of Science in Urban and Environmental Design at the University of Kentucky explore the history and theory of urban and environmental design, develop visualization and graphic representation skills, and examine strategies for creating sustainable communities.
A studio-based curriculum highlights the importance of collaboration with diverse stakeholders and relationships between theory and practice. Elective courses examine community planning, research methods, and policy-based solutions.
A required thesis provides the opportunity to investigate a significant design problem in depth. MUED recipients who obtain four years of experience in professional planning will be eligible to sit for the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) exam. Those who obtain AICP certification and four additional years of planning experience will be eligible to sit for the AICP Certified Urban Designer (AICPCUD) exam.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students who hold an undergraduate degree in a design discipline are required to complete 30 credit hours (2 semesters and 1 summer).
- Those without design backgrounds take an introductory course and a studio primer (eight credit hours total) during the summer preceding the start of the regular curriculum. This results in a 38-credit-hour program that can be completed in 2 semesters and 2 consecutive summers.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Industrial Design Design View 103 other Masters in Industrial Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The University of Kentucky requires a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all applicants whose native language is not English (or who did not graduate from an accredited English-speaking College or University).
- The equivalent score on the computer version of the TOEFL is 213 and the internet-based test is 79.
- Applicants may also utilize the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to satisfy the language requirement. A minimum mean band score of 6.5 is required. Submitted scores must be no more than two years old.
International33548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33548 USD per year during 12 months.
National33548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33548 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13674 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13674 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lexington-Fayette
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.