Students will develop the skills necessary to produce independent scholarly analysis, research, and action aimed at social justice and the reduction of social inequalities.
Learning outcomesThe MA Program in Gender and Social Justice Studies at the University of Alberta is a 12-month (course-based) or 24-month (thesis-based) program in which students participate in Praxis and Research seminars, and complete elective courses in WGS and other related disciplines. Course-based MA students produce a portfolio structured around their unique professional and scholarly goals. Thesis-based MA students produce a graduate thesis under the direction of a professor in our program or otherwise affiliated with the department.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Feminist Theory Now - Anthropocene Feminisms
- Gender Research Workshop
- Social Justice Praxis Workshop
- Feminist Cultural Studies - Publishing Feminisms
- Indigenous Feminisms
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 100 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
The required documents for application are as follows (Please also read "Application Requirements for Academic Documents:
- official copies of your transcripts for all previous post-secondary schooling showing marks obtained (submitted in the original language, accompanied by a certified English translation);
- Curriculum Vitae or resume listing academic background as well as relevant work, activist, and/or volunteer experience (use the form provided as part of the on-line application);
- three letters of reference from academics or relevant professionals who can speak to the applicant's suitability for graduate study in the field of Gender and Social Justice;
International7680 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7680 CAD per year during 24 months.
National3759 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3759 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Edmonton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.