The Cognitive Science program from METU Middle East Technical University brings together the research and teaching of academicians in computer engineering, psychology, philosophy and linguistics. It aims to extend its interdisciplinary links to as many parts of METU as possible, as well as to other universities in Turkey and abroad. It aims to develop a collaborative atmosphere that attracts researchers and postgraduate students interested in all aspects of cognition.
The training we offer in Cognitive Science is theoretically and methodologically oriented. It is interdisciplinary and includes a whole range of applications, as manifested by our various research activities and labs.
Aims of the Department
There are three programs in Cognitive Science department at METU Graduate School of Informatics: Master’s Program with Thesis Option, Master’s Program with Non-Thesis Option, and the PhD Program. Each program provides extensive interdisciplinary training as each enables students to enroll in courses from different specialization groups.
Some of the courses offered in the specialization groups are:
- Computing group: Computational Models of Mind; Computational Linguistics; Artificial Intelligence for Cognitive Science; Neuroimaging: Anatomy, Physiology and Function of the Human Brain
- Language group: Theoretical Linguistics; Lexical Semantics; Language and Cognition; Language Acquisition; Grammars, Combinators and Cognition; Computational Semantics; Discourse mechanisms
- Psychology group: Visual and Spatial Cognition; Situated and Distributed Cognition; Oculomotor Control in Reading; Statistics and Research Methods
- Philosophy group: Studies in the Philosophy of Science; Meaning and Logic; Philosophy of Mind; Philosophical Logic; Topics in Epistemology
Four specialization areas are represented in the graduate programs of Cognitive Science at METU:
- The Psychology group concentrates on cognitive processes such as perception, attention, reasoning and decision making through empirical research on human behavior.
- The Language group investigates the nature of human language and its manifestation as a mental ability; it also involves research on (annotated) corpora as a means of supplementing qualitative studies.
- The Computer Science group creates computational models of cognitive processes for purposes of understanding similar abilities in humans and designing intelligent systems.
- The Philosophy group addresses questions about the essential nature of mind, knowledge, representation, and language.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Cognitive Sciences View 10 other Masters in Cognitive Sciences in Turkey
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- International Graduate Students' Registration Form: The form is expected to be downloaded by the student and filled, including the student's signature.
- ALES / GRE Score Sheet: The score sheets are valid for five years from the exact date they are announced. Students who used to be registered in one of the graduate programs of METU and then either canceled the registration on their own will or were dismissed from the program are not asked to provide a new ALES / GRE score only if they have not been registered to graduate programs of METU for one academic year at max.
- English Proficiency Score (METU EPE / IELTS / TOEFL / PTE Academic)
- One photo
- Identity page of your passport
- Residence Permit Card: Required only if the student has a residence permit card before the registration to METU.
International278 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 139 USD per semester during 24 months.
National18 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Resident: 154 TL/semester
- Non-Resident: 2500 TL/Semester
Living costs for Ankara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.