The French Studies By Research (On-Campus or By Distance Learning) programme at University of Birmingham requires you to prepare a thesis of up to 40,000 words on a topic of your choice, for which an academic staff member will provide expert supervision. In contrast the PhD, the most advanced research degree, leads to a thesis. This will be supported by expert supervision by a member of academic staff.
Postgraduate research is pursued in its broadest social and intellectual context, and you develop your research project within an active and friendly postgraduate community.
Postgraduates are offered opportunities to present work-in-progress at Departmental Research Seminars, the School Postgraduate Forum, and relevant Postgraduate conferences hosted at the University.
As appropriate, staff and supervisors will also guide postgraduate students in important areas beyond the thesis itself, such as the preparation of external conference papers and research publications.Distance learning
You can study an MA by Research or PhD programme on campus or by distance learning. Please note that if you are studying with us by distance learning, the programme includes a fully-funded annual visit to campus for each full year of your programme (every two years for part-time students).
Some of the language graduates train to become professional linguists such as translators and interpreters. Other graduates enter employment where their language skills may be advantageous but not central to their role - for example, within international organisations - and some go on to teaching or lecturing positions
Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: Language Connect; RWS Group; TransPerfect Global Business Solutions; University of Birmingham; University of Cambridge; and University of Oxford.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch interests:
- French studies
- German studies
- Hispanic studies
- Italian studies
- Modern languages (audio-visual)
- Russian studies
- Sexuality and gender studies
- Translation studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- StartingApply anytime.
- Research starting in January or September is encouraged, but flexible start dates may be available
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 476 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4380 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: 2,190 GBP part time
- International: 8,940 GBP part time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,609 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,000 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.