About this Degree from Instituto Superior Técnico
Civil Engineering develops construction and rehabilitation solutions to cater to the needs of urban day-to-day life. Civil engineers design, develop and explore systems, which allow us to use them adequately, with particular emphasis on the improvement of the quality of life. Essential activities are the management of works and projects, the planning of transport networks, the construction of hydraulic works and the use of water resources.
Instituto Superior Técnico MSc graduates in Civil Engineering may pursue careers in:
- construction of buildings, bridges, public equipment and other large facilities;
- land modelling and geotechnical works;
- water supply and sanitation systems and networks;
- rehabilitation of constructions and infrastructure;
- waste recycling and management;
- land and urban planning, land division and management;
- communication networks and transports;
- planning and management of transport systems and urban mobility;
- production of materials and construction components;
- management and maintenance of projects and works;
- logistics (systems and infrastructure);
- consultancy and leadership, supervision and management;
- vocational training and teaching.
- Construction is aimed at the study of construction techniques, essential materials and project management, which also includes project quality and safety, project management and heritage assessment.
- Structures is a stream of study focused on infrastructure sizing and design (buildings, bridges, among others), strongly associated with the work developed in a design office.
- Geotechnical engineering is oriented to the study of soil mechanics and infrastructure behaviour on such soils (i.e., foundations).
- Hydraulics and Water Resources: intended for the behaviour of fluids, in particular water, and the planning and design of related works (dams, sanitation networks, among others).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 9 other Masters in Civil Engineering & Construction in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- hold a 1st cycle degree in Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd cycle in Architecture, which requires a 1st cycle degree in Architecture);
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that certifies their ability to do the MSc programme which they apply for.
Candidates are selected according to these criteria:
- affinity between the degree they hold and the programme they apply for;
- type of degree they hold;
- academic success in the programme they attended.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.