This Solar Cell Technology course at University of Sheffield is designed to train physical science and engineering graduates to develop new photovoltaic devices and test their effectiveness as a global energy resource. It spans fundamental materials science through to PV system deployment.
This means you can learn how to fabricate and assemble solar technologies, and how to measure their effectiveness, in a range of operating conditions and at various scales.
- Lecture modules are designed to teach you the concepts behind photovoltaic materials and solar energy generation. In practical sessions, you will learn how to characterise materials used in solar cells and build them into devices.
- You will also have access to our rooftop solar testbed, where solar cells can be assessed in real-world conditions.
- Computer programming classes will teach you how to analyse solar energy systems, drawing on expertise from the scientists at Sheffield Solar, who run the largest database of photovoltaic systems in the UK.
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Solar Cell Laboratory
- Innovation in Solar Energy
- Low Carbon Energy, Science and Technology
- Research Skills in Physics
- Dissertation Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Electronics & Embedded Technology View 206 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
- We usually ask for a 2:1 degree, or equivalent, in physics, materials science, physical chemistry, electrical engineering or a related subject.
- Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
International24400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sheffield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.