You will have the opportunity to look at different productions and adaptations of Shakespeare’s plays in their historical, political, and cultural contexts and to think about the performance choices actors and directors make when approaching Shakespeare’s texts. You will also explore how the textual history of Shakespeare’s plays influences performance today.
The flexible Shakespeare and Theatre (Distance Learning) programme from University of Birmingham takes a historical approach to interpretation and styles of presentation and promotes the value of ‘close reading’ as the basis for evaluating the plays on the page, stage, and screen.
Made up of a diverse community of Shakespeare enthusiasts, this programme is well suited to anybody with an interest in the relationship between Shakespeare and the Theatre.
Your degree will provide excellent preparation for your future career, but this can also be enhanced by a range of employability support services offered by the University and the College of Arts and Law.
The University's Careers Network provides expert guidance and activities especially for postgraduates, which will help you achieve your career goals. The College of Arts and Law also has a dedicated careers and employability team who offer tailored advice and a programme of College-specific careers events.
You will be encouraged to make the most of your postgraduate experience and will have the opportunity to:
- Receive one-to-one careers advice, including guidance on your job applications, writing your CV and improving your interview technique, whether you are looking for a career inside or outside of academia
- Meet employers face-to-face at on-campus recruitment fairs and employer presentations
- Attend an annual programme of careers fairs, skills workshops and conferences, including bespoke events for postgraduates in the College of Arts and Law
- Take part in a range of activities to demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers and enhance your CV
- Shakespeare's Theatre
- Early Modern Drama: Middleton and Jonson
- History of Shakespeare in Performance
- Shakespeare’s Bodies of Knowledge
- Shakespeare and Early Modern Playhouse Culture
- Shakespeare's Craftsmanship
- Shakespeare's Text
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLiterature Theatre & Dance View 25 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Birmingham and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Our usual entry requirement for this programme is a 2:1 Honours degree, or equivalent, in English or a related subject.
- However, if you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we would still encourage you to apply and we will consider you for our Affiliate entry route. This enables you to register for the programme’s core modules initially, and upon successful completion you are able to register for the full programme.
- Please note that all applications are treated on their merits, and we will review your references, personal statement and past experience alongside your qualifications when considering your application.
International21240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21240 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.