The Shakespeare and Theatre (Distance Learning) programme at the University of Birmingham encourages a historical approach to interpretation and styles of presentation and it promotes the value of close reading as the basis for evaluating the plays on the page, stage, and screen.
You will have the opportunity to look at different productions and adaptations of Shakespeare’s plays in their historical, political, and cultural contexts and to think about the performance choices actors and directors make when approaching Shakespeare’s texts. You can also study how the textual history of Shakespeare’s plays influences performance today.
Postgraduates at the Shakespeare Institute are able to develop a broad range of creative, research and theatre skills, as well as in-depth subject knowledge.
Over the past two years, over 93% of our postgraduates were in work and/or further study six months after graduation.
In recent years, our postgraduates have successfully entered a variety of sectors from teaching in secondary and higher education to performing arts, publishing, museums and library and archive work. Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: National Trust; Royal Shakespeare Company; Shakespeare Birthplace Trust; Shakespeare's Globe, University of Birmingham and University of Oxford.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Shakespeare's Theatre
- Early Modern Drama: Middleton and Jonson
- History of Shakespeare in Performance
- Shakespeare and Early Modern Playhouse Culture
- Shakespeare's Craftsmanship
- Shakespeare's Legacy
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLiterature Theatre & Dance View 26 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
- Our usual entry requirement for this programme is a 2:1 Honours degree, or equivalent, in English or a related subject.
- However, if you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we would still encourage you to apply and we will consider you for our Affiliate entry route. This enables you to register for the programme’s core modules initially, and upon successful completion you are able to register for the full programme.
- Please note that all applications are treated on their merits, and we will review your references, personal statement and past experience alongside your qualifications when considering your application.
International19170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19170 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Fees for the Diploma, part-time and distance learning modes are £1,028 per module (20 credits) and £3,084 for the dissertation.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.