The English (Creative Writing and English Literature) programme at The University of Hull can be tailor made to your interests in either Creative Writing or English Literature, or both. In this fully flexible MA programme, you choose to focus on the writers, or forms of writing, that most interest you.
The MA English programme comes highly recommended, receiving 100% overall satisfaction from our MA students in the national 2018/19 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES), with 100% agreeing that they would recommend the university as a place to study.
There are designated literature pathways allowing students to focus their studies on either Medieval and Renaissance Literature and Culture, Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture, Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture, or a combination of all three. Creative Writing modules allow students to focus their interests on both fiction and non-fiction prose forms, as well as poetry and scriptwriting.
You will leave Hull with enhanced communication, research and creative skills.
Career options include writing and editing jobs, in fields such as journalism, marketing or promotions. Many students opt to pursue further research or a career in academia or teaching.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research, Creativity and Engagement
- Creative Writing Portfolio
Contemporary Children's Literature
- Modern City Fictions
- Fictions of Flooding: From Noah to Now
- Writing from Life; Creative Non-Fiction
- Writing Short Stories
- Writing the Novel
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguages Creative Writing Literature View 420 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We normally require a 2:2 undergraduate degree in English (literary studies/creative writing) or a cognate humanities discipline or international equivalent. With your application, you must submit a satisfactory 2000 to 3000-word sample of your written work, consisting of either literary criticism or creative writing, on a subject of your choice. You can use written work that you have previously produced for your coursework.
- This course requires academic IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 5.5 in each skill.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8950 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8950 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK (part-time):£495 (10 credits), £995 (20 credits), £2985 (60 credits), £4475 (90 credits)
Living costs for Hull
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.