The Master of Urban Design offered at the Swinburne University of Technology is about shaping urban environments across a range of scales — from individual buildings and streets to neighbourhoods, suburbs and entire cities and their wider regions. Through a future-focused, design-led approach, you’ll gain in-depth knowledge of how transport, community, environment, economy and policy fit together to make the healthy, inclusive, culturally-significant and sustainable places we can all call ‘home’.
Master of Urban Design graduates will be knowledgeable about contemporary urban design thinking and be skilled in cutting edge urban analysis and design technology. Urban design and strategic planning skills are highly sought after in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. The course’s emphasis upon urban information, data and modelling situates our graduates in a highly competitive position to attain work locally and globally in areas such as:
- private practices including: urban design practices, architecture practices, landscape architecture practices, and planning practices
- local government: planning authorities and local city councils.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Research Studio
- Dynamic Modelling of Cities
- Theories of Buildings and Cities
- Design Research Studio
- Urban Informatics and Modelling
- Urban Economics and Governance
- Planning Law, Strategic & Statutory Planning
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 35 other Masters in Landscape Architecture in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Swinburne University of Technology and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
CRICOS code 098497DAdmission to the Master of Urban Design will require one of the following:
- successful completion of the Swinburne Bachelor of Design (Architecture) or
- successful completion of the Swinburne Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) with a major in Architecture or
- successful completion of the Swinburne Bachelor of Design (Interior Architecture) (Honours) with an advanced minor in Architecture or
- successful completion of another three year undergraduate architectural course.
Satisfactory completion of one of the following:
- IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0
- Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- Or equivalent measures available at English language requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International39120 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39120 AUD per year during 24 months.
National36600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36600 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.