The Medicine (Cataract and Refractive Surgery) program at the University of Sydney gives you he opportunity to attend a week of workshops and wet labs at the Sydney Eye Hospital as well as undertaking placements in accredited refractive surgical centres.
Refractive surgery is an ever-expanding area within the field of ophthalmology, encompassing both laser and non-laser vision correction. This has traditionally been performed by surgeons in large private clinics, but in recent years has become accepted as part of mainstream ophthalmic care. Laser eye surgery is now the most frequently performed eye operation in Australia.Why study cataract and refractive surgery us?
- Our course is the first of its kind in the world
- Your lecturers include internationally recognised corneal and refractive surgeons
- Our course is flexible and suited to busy professionals, while still providing world-class training and development, and
- The course includes a two-week placement in an accredited refractive surgical centre and time spent in the wet lab at Sydney Eye Hospital, to develop practical skills and experience.
The Master of Medicine (Cataract and Refractive Surgery) prepares ophthalmologists for the appropriate selection of candidates for refractive surgery, and provides an understanding of the surgical techniques involved and how to deal with complications that may arise.
- Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Dissertation Refractive Surgery
- Ophthalmic Anatomy
- Ophthalmic Optics
- Practical Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Complementary & Alternative Medicine Health Sciences View 25 other Masters in Complementary & Alternative Medicine in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Sydney and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Not available to student visa holders. International students on other visas with study rights may apply
- hold a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery of the University of Sydney or equivalent qualification; and
- hold appropriate medical indemnity; and
- have completed the requirements of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists, and be eligible to undertake a subspecialty fellowship in the final year of accredited training; or
- be registered to practice ophthalmology in their state, territory or country.
International52500 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52500 AUD per year during 12 months.
National38000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38000 AUD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.