Socially Engaged Photography with Community Experience degree offered at University of Salford explores the power of photography when working with real communities to co-author meaningful culture.This course will be delivered through a partnership between University of Salford and Open Eye Gallery. You will work with active practitioners and academics to rethink the role of photography in society today, to develop your creative practice and your professional profile.
The course will give students support in producing creative projects with both arts and non-arts commissioners in mind, exploring how to create socially engaged art that is meaningful to both audiences and participants. Students will develop and deliver live projects with partners working in health, youth, community and justice, all embedded within a critically engaged and ethical framework.
EmploymentThis course is built around preparing students for a career in the arts, applying your expertise in socially engaged photography and visual representation to real life projects. Graduates may join Open Eye Gallery’s Associates programme, meeting with fellow practitioners to share learning, best practice, and opportunities for collaboration.Those leaving the course may choose to develop specialist knowledge in specific settings such as prisons, youth centres, hospitals and schools. There will be opportunities within the course to look specific routes to establishing professional practice and profile in these areas.
- Creative Research Methods
- Exploring Theory and Practice
- Developing Socially Engaged Photography Practice
- Real World Context
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You should submit your application at least one month before your course starts.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Community Development View 562 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- To join this MA you should have a second class honours degree, 2:2 or above.
- We welcome applications from students who may not have formal/traditional entry criteria but who have relevant experience or the ability to pursue the course successfully.The Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) process could help you to make your work and life experience count. The APL process can be used for entry onto courses or to give you exemptions from parts of your course.Two forms of APL may be used for entry: the Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning (APCL) or the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL).
International15750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15750 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8550 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part time costs will be calculated on a pro rata basis
Living costs for Salford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.