The International Master in Mining Engineering programme from Instituto Superior Técnico focuses on new methodologies of machine learning, artificial intelligence and geostatistics, but still grounded in basic mining engineering courses.
The 1st and the 2nd semester of the double degree programme will be held at one of the partner institutions, Instituto Superior Técnico of the Universidade de Lisboa (Técnico) or University of Mining and Technology, Beijing (CUMTB), and the 3rd and 4th semester in the other.
- Acquire expertizes to face new challenges of mining engineering in the next decades
- Acquisition of knowledge in data science and artificial intelligence applied in all mining chain: from geophysical exploration up to production
- Get an understanding of optimization methods for real-time mining
- Studying at some of the top universities for mining sciences
- Development of economic and intercultural competences
- Interdisciplinary training
- Collaboration on international research projects throughout the programme
- Worldwide high demand for geodata scientists in the field of mining engineering
- Excellent job prospects in a global market
Academic DegreeStudents completing the International Master on Mining Engineering earn the degree “Master of Engineering”. The joint degree is awarded by the partner universities Instituto Superior Técnico and China University of Mining and Technology Beijing.The degree Master of Science is equivalent to the following academic degrees of the countries of the partner universities:
- Instituto Superior Técnico: Master of Mining and Geological Engineering
- China University of Mining Engineering: Master of Mining Engineering
The scientific profile of this master’s degree programme facilitates graduates to pursue a world-wide career in relevant mining companies, public administrations or international organisations.The graduates are active in resources and reserves evaluation, project and mine planning and data sciences of and within firms, organisations, and administrations. There are further opportunities in the fields of research (both university and industrial), as well as in companies, or in the insurance or banking sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The joint master degree programme International Master of Mining Engineering covers 120 ECTS points.
- This corresponds to the usual study period of four semesters (two years). 30 ECTS points are usually acquired in each semester.
- The 1st and the 2nd semester of the double degree programme will be held at one of the partner institutions, Instituto Superior Técnico of the Universidade de Lisboa (Técnico) or University of Mining and Technology, Beijing (CUMTB), and the 3rd and 4th semester in the other.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Mining, Oil & Gas Machine Learning View 8 other Masters in Mining, Oil & Gas in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You may apply for a Master’s or an integrated master’s (2nd study cycle) under the following conditions:
- If you have completed an undergraduate or an integrated masters (1st study cycle) at Instituto Superior Técnico, even though with no scientific consistency with the course of the 2nd study cycle that you wish to apply to;
- Hold an undergraduate degree (1st study cycle) in the field of Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd study cycle in Architecture which requires a 1st study cycle programme in Architecture);
- Hold either an academic, scientific or professional curriculum verifying the capability to complete the master’s programme you are applying to.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.