Our MA Interpreting and Translating (French and Italian) at University of Bath is designed to give you the practical skills and experience you need to work as an interpreter and translator at a high level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages. You can choose from one of two pathways:
- Path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
- Path 2 allows you to work in both directions between Chinese/English or Russian/English
This master's has been running for over 50 years and is highly respected for the quality of the training provided. Many Bath graduates have gone on to work in international organisations such as the EU and UN as well as other language services around the world.
The course covers professional translation and simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting in public service and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting labs, and will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
We seek to arrange external training opportunities (which could be remote or in person) for our students with international organisations or independent agencies, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
Through our extensive network of contacts we try to organise external training for students with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies. These opportunities provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed.
Our students have previously undertaken training with many organisations, including:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
- the Council of Europe
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- French to English consecutive interpreting
- Italian to English consecutive interpreting
- French to English simultaneous interpreting
- Italian to English simultaneous interpreting
- French to English translation
- Italian to English translation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Translation & Interpreting View 550 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
- To apply for the European Stream you will need mother tongue competence in English and degree-level competence in two foreign languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian).
- We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
- If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in an English speaking country you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.