Key factsEpidemiology is fundamental to clinical and community medicine and public health. In combination with basic medical science and clinical research, epidemiology provides the tools with which we can learn more about the aetiology and effects of disease, the opportunities for prevention, the cost and effectiveness of various diagnostic and therapeutic approaches, and the health status and risks of individuals and populations. By the end of the Epidemiology from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg course, students should be able to:
- conceptualise epidemiologic approaches to understand the causes of ill health in population-based research;
- critically synthesise published literature in epidemiology and biostatistics;
- design and conduct epidemiological studies;
- conduct sample size estimation for basic epidemiologic study designs;
- choose appropriate statistical techniques and perform analysis of data from epidemiological studies, and
- conduct appropriate and effective dissemination of scientific findings.
Graduates enter careers in medical research, public health and community medicine, field-based scientific research, government, NGO’s or international agencies.
- The epidemiology courses are well-evaluated and internationally recognised and reflect the values of the School of promoting equity and human rights, and responding meaningfully to the needs of the people on the African continent.
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences Epidemiology View 265 other Masters in Health Sciences in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have a four-year honours degree, an MBBCh or other health related degree. Relevant work experience will be an advantage.
- This degree will appeal to students who want to become more involved in research in their fields. Students come from a range of disciplinary backgrounds including medical, microbiology, dentistry, statistics, veterinary science and demography.
International4411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4411 USD per year during 18 months.
National4411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4411 USD per year during 18 months.
R 64 360
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.