The MPhil involves a minimum of two years (equivalent to six terms) of study, and a dissertation of up to 60,000 words. The PhD is awarded after a minimum of three years (equivalent to nine terms) of study for a dissertation of up to 100,000 words. MPhil and PHD Research Degrees from University of London Institute in Paris can be studied on a full-time or part-time basis.
In common with most UK universities, you will initially be registered for an MPhil degree and be expected to transfer to the PhD programme during your second year, on meeting the formal requirements for progression/upgrade.
A successful MPhil and PHD Research Degrees dissertation at University of London Institute in Paris is either a record of original work in a Iimited area or an ordered and critical exposition of existing knowledge in a field. A successful PhD dissertation must form a distinct contribution to the knowledge of the subject and afford evidence of originality either in the discovery of new facts, or by the exercise of independent critical power, or both.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Examples of areas in which the Institute can provide supervision are:
- Paris History and Culture
- Transnational and Postcolonial Literature
- Modern French and Comparative Literature
- French and Colonial History since the 1880s
- Translation Studies
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHistory Literature Translation & Interpreting View 9 other Masters in History in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We offer two University of London research degrees - the MPhil and the PhD in our areas of expertise.
- Candidates must have at least a first degree at Honours level (minimum upper second class, or mention 'assez bien') in a subject relevant to the area of research. A taught postgraduate degree to Masters level is recommended prior to undertaking post-graduate research.
International17950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17950 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4327 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4327 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Home/EU student: £2,163
- Overseas student: £8,975
Living costs for Paris
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.