This Teaching (Secondary) program offered at Murdoch University course is a 1.75 year full-time (or 2.75 years part-time) initial teaching qualification for graduates who hold a Bachelor’s degree in a non-Education field relevant to teaching. It will set you up with the specialist knowledge, skills and capabilities to teach students from Years 7 to 12 in a teaching area you’re passionate about. When choosing to major in Science or HaSS, you will be expected to teach all components of the curriculum for years 7-10 and then your specialised area for years 11 and 12.
8 reasons to study the Master of Teaching (Secondary) at Murdoch
- Murdoch offers a variety of placement opportunities, including international, rural and remote.
- Be mentored by our experienced teaching professionals who are here to support you in becoming a confident, creative and flexible educator.
- Graduate ready for the classroom with an online portfolio to show your experience to future employers.
- Practise dealing with challenging behaviour and conflict resolution through our SimLabTM technology. It’s a virtual classroom that uses actors and avatars – and the only technology of it’s kind in WA.
- Specialise your degree depending on your area of focus and interest.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Get involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and data analysis, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- You’ll be taught by leading academics who have worked in industry.
On completion of this course, you will have the knowledge and skillset required to teach in secondary schools, or in a variety of other careers with an education focus. Graduates of this course have gone on to become education officers at institutions such as SciTech, museums and zoos.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Transition to Teaching
- Learners and Learning Environments
- Adolescent, Family and Community Health
- Literacy and Numeracy in Secondary Education
- Professional Experience Secondary: Strategies for Effective Teaching
- Strategies for Effective Learning and Teaching in Secondary Schools
- Diversity and Inclusion
- 21 months
- 33 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Teaching View 127 other Masters in Teaching in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Code: 098366D
- A recognised Bachelor's degree or higher, with extensive specialist study relevant to the chosen learning areas of the Secondary curriculum (i.e. English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education).
- To be eligible, applicants seeking a Major Teaching Area of focus must have six units of study relevant to the chosen discipline, consistent with the WA secondary school curriculum, with no more than two a first year level and at least two at third year level.
- To be eligible, applicants seeking a Minor Teaching Area of focus must have four units of study relevant to the chosen discipline, as defined by the WA secondary school curriculum, with no more than two a first year level. If choosing Vocational Education and Training as a Minor Teaching Area applicants must have at least one year full time equivalent of industry experience.
International27784 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27784 AUD per year during 21 months.
- Commonwealth supported
Living costs for Perth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.