The Translation (Advanced) program at the Australian National University is designed to provide students with a focused qualification in the fields of literary and technical translation, along with an understanding of the history of translation and an appreciation of many critical issues in the field.
The ANU is home to a team of world-renowned intercultural specialists and language specialists who are also experienced translators. ANU offers the greatest variety of specialised language expertise available in Australia and is the ideal location for your study of translation.
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of translation theory and practice specific to English and the language of focus;
- evaluate theories concerning the nature and use of translation and the practical application of those theories to specific areas of interest to the student;
- demonstrate an awareness of fundamental issues in translation including the processes of translation, assessing translations, the place of register and genre, and the questions of pragmatic and cultural interpretation;
- critically apply theoretical frameworks to the creation of translations;
- show analytic skills and creative thinking in translating between English and the language of focus;
- complete a major piece of research in the field of Translation.
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world.
We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life.
- Traditional Grammar
- Extended University English
- The Structure of English
- Advanced Ancient Greek
- Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Translation & Interpreting View 19 other Masters in Literature in Australia
- At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis. Therefore, meeting all admission requirements does not automatically guarantee entry.
- Applicants must present a Bachelor degree or international equivalent with a minimum GPA of 6.0/7.0; a successful assessment in the language of focus; and the approval of an identified supervisor for the thesis.
International45360 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45360 AUD per year during 24 months.
National30680 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30680 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.