This Education (Autism) MA course at the London South Bank University is ideal for practitioners in education, health, social care, or the voluntary sector who are interested in working with autistic learners of any age and across the spectrum (in keeping with the 0-25 framework in the Children and Families Act 2014). Autistic people are encouraged to apply and should feel confident that staff are committed to offering appropriate support as required.
You'll apply theory to practice – and in so doing you'll have the opportunity to reflect on inclusive practices and their efficacy in assisting diverse learners with autism.
This course is carefully designed to ensure a synthesis of practical understanding and critical analysis of theory and policy in this subject area. Most participants will already be employed in contexts providing education and other opportunities for children and adults identified with SEND. However, it is not necessary to be employed in an education setting to derive benefit from this course. The Autism Act 2009 and the Adult Autism Strategy 2009 require public bodies to understand autism, so if you are, for example, a social worker, a youth worker or a police officer, this course can be of great benefit.
You'll become better equipped to work with children, young people and their families, underpinned by your theoretical understanding of concepts and principles associated with SEND and autism spectrum conditions (ASC). This will open-up the possibility for career development in the field.
During the course you'll have the opportunity to achieve the National SENCO award, a recognised qualification that can further enhance your potential.
Progression from the MA to the Doctorate in Education can further enhance your prospects, particularly in academia and research, giving you the opportunity to become published in referred journals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teaching and learning: The needs of learners with special needs, autism and disability
- Special educational needs and disability
- Understanding autism and learning
- Autism individuality and identity
- Research Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 735 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An honours degree (2:2 or above) or equivalent. Please discuss your qualifications with the admissions tutor if you are unsure.
- If you do not have a degree but have relevant life / professional experience, please enquire.
- Autistic people are encouraged to apply and will receive appropriate support.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5133 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5133 GBP per year during 36 months.
National2926 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2926 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.