The Modern and Contemporary Asian Art program at Sotheby's Institute of Art examines how Asian art has developed in the modern and contemporary period in relation to its complex historical backdrop. Students are exposed to Asian artists and art production both within Asia and in the extensive Asian art diaspora around the globe.
- The program equips graduates with expertise for application in the professional art sphere – from museums and art fairs to public and private art institutions worldwide.
- Graduates take up a range of positions in galleries, art fairs, museums, and auction houses, working in major cultural centers around the world. Graduates may also embark on doctoral studies for deeper specialization toward an academic career or a museum curatorship.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master’s degree is awarded for 120 taught credits across two semesters, as well as the completion of a 60-credit dissertation over the course of an additional semester. The program is of twelve months’ duration.
- The first two semesters are intensively taught. In the first semester, Navigating the Art World (30 Credits) brings students from all MAs together for an introduction to the art world and to a variety of postgraduate research skills and methodologies within the disciplines of art history and art business.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Art History Liberal Arts View 591 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic transcripts/mark sheets: from all undergraduate and post-secondary academic institutions attended.
- Two (2) letters of reference: References from an academic or professional contact. For those candidates with work experience, at least one reference should be professional.
- A personal statement (1,000 words maximum): Please tell us about yourself, your reasons for your choice of program, any relevant academic or art related experience, and your future career goals.
- A writing sample: A graded paper of no fewer than 1,000 words from an art history or art-related course or 1,000-word original essay or mock review written for an art publication or website. Footnotes are required for any citations.
- A curriculum vitae or résumé.
- An English language proficiency exam.
International32900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32900 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA27200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/EU: MA total: £27,700 / PG Dip total: £22,200
- Non-UK/EU: MA total: £33,200 / PG Dip total: £26,500
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.