The subject matter is interdisciplinary, derived from psychology, sociology, social policy, law and social work studies. It includes an embedded, professionally qualifying Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work , which has been approved as a qualifying award for social workers in England by Social Work England (SWE) and in Scotland by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).
Key features of the Social Work course from The Open University UK
- Approved as a social work qualifying award in England by Social Work England (SWE) and in Scotland by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
- Includes a compulsory residential weekend or online alternative, three workshops and two substantive work-based practice placements supervised by a practice educator
- Equips you to engage in critical and reflective professional practice, according to the Standards for Social Work Education and Codes of Practice and Conduct for the nation in which you train
- Includes a work-based project that develops your knowledge of a particular field in social work practice and leads to recommendations for improvement in your personal/work based context.
This is a broad qualification spanning children and families, adults and mental health social work and prepares graduates to work in a range of settings including local authorities, healthcare providers and the private, voluntary and independent sector. Successful completion of the embedded Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work acts as a social work qualifying award in England by Social Work England (SWE), and in Scotland by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).We have not applied for approval from the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC), however reciprocal arrangements are currently in place such that any social work qualifying award approved by one UK regulator, will be recognised by the other three.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Developing social work practice
- Advancing social work practice
- Transforming professional practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Public Policy View 33 other Masters in Social Work in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants will be required to have an honours degree with a minimum 2:2 classification in any discipline together with a proven record of experience of engaging directly with Service Users in a professional setting. Candidates’ experience will be considered individually on application but we would normally expect a minimum of one year's experience – either paid or voluntary – in a setting such as a local authority or a health or social care provider in the private, voluntary or independent sector.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.