In this Translation course from The Open University UK , you’ll engage in authentic translation tasks to develop useful employability skills, explore different approaches to translation and develop an understanding of the links between theory and practice. With a focus on recent research, you’ll develop an awareness of the wider cultural, ethical and professional contexts of translation.
Key features of the course
- Engage in authentic translation tasks to develop useful employability skills.
- Choose from French, German, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese or Modern Standard Arabic in combination with English.
- Develop your professional skills with a combination of collaborative activities and peer-reviews.
There is an increasing global demand for translators and language specialists, and this postgraduate certificate will provide an introduction to the knowledge and skills that are needed for a career as a translator. This is an immensely rewarding profession for those with an interest in languages and communication, and encompasses a wide and growing range of areas, including audio-visual translation, advertising or website localisation, as well as semi-specialised and specialised translation.
If you wish to pursue a career as a translator, be it as an in-house or freelance translator, this qualification will introduce you to the professional skills needed and provide you with a basic understanding of the professional tools you will need in this fast-moving field. You will also acquire a raft of highly valued transferable communication and collaborative skills such as team working, which are useful in a range of occupations in the communications sector.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessment
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 8 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 49 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK honours degree (preferably a 2:1 or above) or other recognised equivalent qualification1
- Proficiency in your first language at Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level C2
- Proficiency in your second language at CEFR level C12
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3410 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3410 GBP per year during 8 months.
National3410 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3410 GBP per year during 8 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.