The online Master of Mental Health Nursing at La Trobe University is designed for registered nurses. Developed in collaboration with Allied Health Professions Australia (AHPA), this course covers the skills you need to meet and exceed the national standards in mental health services set by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare.
Choose the only mental health nursing course with regional and rural perspectives.
You'll graduate confident in your ability to provide recovery-focused services, make independent clinical judgments in mental health practice and develop clinical plans.
We value the ongoing upskilling you'll need to do as a nurse, so we give you effective strategies to remain up to date with the latest knowledge and skills.
You'll learn the current therapeutic skills, pharmacology, mental health assessment and diagnosis, and considerations in treatment, recovery and service delivery – to name a few. Take advantage of opportunities to explore projects or research.
Throughout the course, you'll learn to communicate effectively with your colleagues, the public and those who access mental health services.
Upon graduation, you’ll be ready to specialise as a mental health nurse or clinician. Work in clinical practice, projects, policy or research. You could establish your future career in private and public health service organisations; acute, community, rehabilitation and long-term care settings; mental health research; or higher education.
Once you graduate, you’ll be able to:
- make independent clinical judgements and apply specialised skills
- assess clients and develop suitable clinical plans
- utilise critical skills in problem-solving, planning and evaluation
- communicate effectively and sensitively with your colleagues, the public and people accessing mental health services
- perform independently and as a team leader or influential member in mental health settings
- recognise the need for ongoing learning and use effective learning strategies for professional practice
- undertake effective reflective practice, both independently and as a member or leader of teams in multidisciplinary work environments.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Therapeutic Skills
- Comprehensive Mental Health Assessment
- Mental Health Diagnosis
- Experiences and Perceptions of Mental Illness
- Considerations in Treatment, Recovery and Service Delivery
- Advanced Mental Health Practice
- Talk-Based Therapies
- Therapeutic Pharmacology
- Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Critiquing Research Literature
- Translating Evidence to Practice
- Constructive Practice Recommendations
A Master of Mental Health Nursing will equip you to become a mental health nurse. Your career goal is to engage in recovery-focused services, make independent clinical judgments in mental health practice and develop clinical plans as a mental health nurse.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
- 180 total credit points; 12 subjects; 15 credit points a subject
- Alternate entry is also available via special consideration or advanced standing.
DisciplinesSocial Work Health Management Health Sciences View 54 other Masters in Health Management in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To apply to La Trobe's Master of Mental Health Nursing, you'll need to complete your application and provide the following:
- Completed undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Transcripts from prior universities
- Resume or CV
- Personal statement
- Proof that you’re a Division 1 Registered Nurse
A current practising certificate with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Alternate entry is also available via special consideration or advanced standing. This course is only available to Australian domestic students.
To help all our students succeed academically, we have English language requirements for entry into our courses. For more information on these requirements visit Official Programme Website.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
National26400 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26400 AUD per year during 18 months.
Available to domestic students only.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.