The Master of Mental Health Nursing (Online) at La Trobe University is 1.5-years full-time or 2-3 years part-time, with 8 units of study and an exit option at a Graduate Diploma (6 units of study). The course aims to help you develop a deeper understanding of mental health, through systematic analysis and reflection on the relationships between theory and clinical practice.
You will have the opportunity to exit at a diploma level with advanced specialist skills or complete the Master of Mental Health Nursing to attain a clinical consultancy level of practice. It also aims to provide in-depth knowledge and life-long learning skills required in contemporary mental health practice. The curriculum provides a strong evidence base and an advanced clinical practice component. Specialty modules enable you to undertake focused and advanced studies in your specific area of interest. You are also expected to undertake supervised and assessed clinical practice.
The qualification awarded on graduation is recognised in the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) as Level 9.
- Community mental health services
- Senior mental health services positions
- Public and private sector
- Sessional work as lecturer practitioners
Graduates of the Master of Mental Health Nursing may apply for membership with the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses. Membership may be subject to additional or ongoing requirements beyond completion of the degree. Please contact the relevant professional body for details.
- Academic Integrity Module
- Comprehensive Mental Health Assessment
- Experiences and Perceptions of Mental Illness
- Mental Health Diagnosis
- Therapeutic Skills
- Constructive Practice Recommendations
A Master of Mental Health Nursing will equip you to become a mental health nurse. Your career goal is to engage in recovery-focused services, make independent clinical judgments in mental health practice and develop clinical plans as a mental health nurse.
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. Some courses could close early if all offers have been made.
DisciplinesSocial Work Health Administration Health Sciences View 186 other Masters in Health Sciences in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS Provider Code Number 00115M
- Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent).
- Applicants must be a Division 1 Registered Nurse and hold a current practising certificate with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Specialisation - compulsory: Nursing
National26400 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26400 AUD per year during 18 months.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) may be available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.