That means you’ll develop the practical skills to meet and exceed the national standards in mental health services set by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare.
You'll graduate with the clinical skills necessary to engage in recovery-focused services, make independent clinical judgments in mental health practice and develop clinical plans.
We value lifelong learning and the ongoing upskilling you'll need as a mental health professional, so we give you effective strategies to always remain up to date with the latest knowledge and skills. You'll learn current therapeutic skills, pharmacology, mental health assessment and diagnosis, and considerations in treatment, recovery and service delivery – to name a few. Take advantage of further opportunities in projects or research.
Throughout the course, you'll learn to communicate effectively, sensitively and ethically with your colleagues, the public and those who access mental health services.
Graduate ready for roles in a range of mental health settings. You'll have the required skills to work in specialist clinical practice, projects, policy and research.
You can expect to find roles in private and public health service organisations; acute, community, rehabilitation and long-term care settings; policy settings; mental health research; or higher education.
Once you graduate, you’ll be able to:
- Make independent clinical judgements and apply your specialist skills
- Assess clients and develop suitable clinical plans
- Utilise critical skills in problem-solving, planning and evaluation
- Communicate effectively and sensitively with your colleagues, the public and people accessing mental health services
- Perform independently and as a team leader or influential member in mental health settings
- Recognise the need for ongoing learning and use effective learning strategies for professional practice
- Undertake effective reflective practice, both independently and as a member or leader of teams in multidisciplinary work environments.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureSubjects include:
- Therapeutic Skills
- Comprehensive Mental Health Assessment
- Mental Health Diagnosis
- Experiences and Perceptions of Mental Illness
- Considerations in Treatment, Recovery and Service Delivery
- Advanced Mental Health Practice
- Talk-Based Therapies
- Therapeutic Pharmacology
- Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Critiquing Research Literature
- Translating Evidence to Practice
- Constructive Practice Recommendations
A Master of Mental Health will equip you to become a successful leader with the latest knowledge in clinical treatment strategies. You want to improve your ability to communicate effectively, sensitively and ethically with colleagues, the public and those who access mental health services.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
- 180 total credit points; 12 subjects; 15 credit points a subject
- Alternate entry is also available via special consideration or advanced standing.
DisciplinesSocial Work Health Management Health Sciences View 25 other Masters in Social Work in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To apply to La Trobe's Master of Mental Health, you'll need to complete your application and provide the following:
- Completed undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Transcripts from prior colleges and universities
- Resume or CV
- Personal statement
Alternate entry is also available via special consideration or advanced standing. This course is available to Australian domestic students.
To help all our students succeed academically, we have English language requirements for entry into our courses. For more information on these requirements visit Official Programme Website.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
National26400 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26400 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
Available to domestic students only.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.