Product Design is a rapidly changing discipline, elements of which are converging with craft-based practices to occupy new hybrid maker spaces and a growing redistributed manufacturing network.
This MFA Product Design Making at the Edinburgh Napier University develops your skills in a range of making methods, with both traditional tools and materials and digital prototyping technologies (including CNC routers, laser cutters and 3D printers).
Part of the MA/MFA Design Suite, the course benefits from bringing together designers from a range of disciplines into core modules, as well as modules specific to your chosen pathway such as 'Making as Thinking', 'Sketching & Prototyping in Hardware and Software' and ‘Design for Makerspaces’.
The programme aims to develop your creative practice through hands-on making and promotes “knowing-by-doing” and “making-as-knowledge”. You will undertake a number of projects led by material enquiry and processes and explore making as a process of growth. You will develop advanced workshop skills with hand guided tools and digital hardware.
As your skills develop, you will work in the context of localised (re)manufacture and “manu-digi-facture”, seeking out entrepreneurial and/or social development opportunities. Sustainability and circular economic thinking are core values of the programme and you are encouraged to work with alternative consumer models.
Graduates from this programme pathway can pursue careers in:
- product design
- digital crafts
- furniture design
- interaction design and prototyping
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Making as Thinking
- Sketching in Hardware and Software
- Maker Space module
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- To ensure there is sufficient time to process your application, we encourage you to submit your application by 31st July.
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design Visual Arts View 563 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The entry requirement for this course is a Bachelor (Honours) Degree at 2:2 or above in an art & design or related discipline (architecture, creative computing & engineering design)
- We may also consider lesser qualifications if you have sufficient professional work experience within the industry.
- All candidates are interviewed with a portfolio of creative work or technical/business projects. Applicants from overseas can be interviewed by teleconference with an online portfolio.
- We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International10915 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10915 GBP per year during 24 months.
National5000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 GBP per year during 24 months.
- Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland: £5,000
- Overseas and EU: £10,915
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.