The MFA in Motion Graphics at the Edinburgh Napier University benefits from bringing together designers from a range of disciplines into core modules, as well as modules specific to your chosen pathway such as 'Moving Image Design' and 'Photo-video Imaging'.
All students complete the Live Project and you’ll study 'Thinking: Research for Creative Practice', which will help you to determine your Dissertation (MA and MFA) and Major Project (MFA) topics.
Visual information is more often than not, accessed via digital media devices and we have the opportunity to create graphic design that moves. This programme will develop your skills in the design of moving images and graphics. Using industry standard software (including Cinema 4D and Adobe Creative Suite). You can work on a rage of projects with motion graphics and typography, screen based info-graphics for exhibition, graphic animations, interstitial clips, photo-video imaging, graphics for film and television, moving image art direction, light art and projection, and short films.
The two year MFA offers students the opportunity to extend project work through an in depth, research-led creative enquiry. The first year of the programme is aligned to the MA and you will undertake six modules developing subject specific-skills and knowledge, external research and entrepreneurial collaboration, and practice-based research.
In the second year, you will extend your practice with two large modules: the self-directed Major Project with specialist supervisors, and Professional Practice with portfolio mentors. You will end the programme with a highly professional portfolio that enhances industry and employment opportunities or (with an emphasis on research) offers a robust gateway into PhD-level study.
Those graduating from this programme pathway will be able to pursue careers in:
- graphic design
- motion graphics
- moving image design
- museum and exhibition design and interpretation
- interactive media design
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Moving Image Design
- Production & Art Direction
- Design for Heritage & Cultural Spaces (elective)
- Photo-video Imaging (elective)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- To ensure there is sufficient time to process your application, we encourage you to submit your application by 31st July.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 562 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The entry requirement for this course is a Bachelor (Honours) Degree at 2:2 or above in an art & design or related discipline (architecture, creative computing & engineering design)
- We may also consider lesser qualifications if you have sufficient professional work experience within the industry.
- All candidates are interviewed with a portfolio of creative work or technical/business projects. Applicants from overseas can be interviewed by teleconference with an online portfolio.
- We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International10915 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10915 GBP per year during 24 months.
National5000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 GBP per year during 24 months.
- Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland: £5,000
- Overseas and EU: £10,915
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.