The Teaching English as a Second Language program of the Northern Arizona University combines a strong theoretical foundation in applied linguistics with practical training in the teaching of English to people who speak other native languages. The principal goals of the program are to:
- provide the linguistic theory necessary for ESL/EFL teachers
- equip teachers with the practical skills needed for effective language teaching
- prepare students for further study in English language teaching, applied linguistics, and related fields
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Teacher of English as a second language (in English speaking countries) in, for example, university intensive English programs, community colleges, adult education programs, language programs for new immigrants and refugees
- Teacher of English as a foreign language (in non-English speaking countries), in, for example, universities, private language schools, binational centers, English for academic purposes foundation programs
- Language program coordinator or administrator
- Test developer
- Teacher trainer
- Curriculum/materials specialist (for publishing houses)
- English Language Fellow, U.S. Peace Corps teacher
- ESL coordinator in K-12 contexts (for those who enter the program with teaching credentials)
- Language And Linguistics
- Grammatical Foundations
- Second Language Teaching
- Assessment For Second Language Skills
- ESL Methods And Materials: Listening & Speaking
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Teaching English View 209 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Northern Arizona University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency scores.
- Personal Letter of Intent (2-3 pages in length).
- 2 letters of recommendation required only for those MA TESL applicants applying for Graduate Teaching Assistantships.
International26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
National26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11004 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11004 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.